My Mother Loves Werewolf Novels

Bridget jolted awake to the sound of an atomic bomb. Well, her brain perceived the disturbance as that; though it was rather enthusiastic--or impatient--knocks on her door. A weary analog alarm clock on her nightstand showed 8:04 AM.

Bloody eight o'clock. On a Sunday morning.

She groaned and wiped her drool. Unless her senile landlady forgot again that she'd paid her rent this month, only one person would grace her with such an untimely visit.

She slithered down the bed, yawning and scratching her butt as she dragged her way to the front door. She opened the apartment door to a displeased huff.

"Took you long enough! A second more and the neighbours will think I'm a drunkard knocking on the wrong door!"

More like beating it down, Bridget sneered inwards. "Good morning, Mother."

Her mother shoved a large brown paper bag onto her chest, then walked into the sun-filled living room straight to the kitchen.

"What's this?" Bridget peeked into the bag.

"Pancakes and sausage muffins. Your favourite."

"Mother, we've talked about this. I need to lose thirty pounds."

"Your New Year's resolution?" The mother started the kettle. "It's September now; how many have you lost so far?"

"A pound."

"Ha! So, not gonna happen." She gestured for Bridget--who leaned against the kitchen doorway like a deflated balloon--to sit at the small pine dining table. "I still can't understand why you want to lose weight. You're not a chubby blubber like me; you're fine!"

"The BMI chart says I am overweight." Bridget sat down, then took out the bag contents to the table; the whiff of familiar deliciousness made her stomach growled with anticipation. She looked down at it. Shameless cow.

"Don't hate it, Bridge; that's your second conscience!" The mother cracked up. Her curled bob hair bounced as she whipped her head around. "Anyway, I have to tell you about this brilliant book I bought on Kindle earlier this week."

Here we go. Bridget cringed.

"So, this sexy Alpha has the most powerful pack in the country--"

Of course he does. Bridget unwrapped a sausage muffin.

"--and basically a ginger Jason Momoa. He was cold-blooded, selfish, and feared by all. Yet, he was sooo sensitive, caring--"

How does that make sense??

"--and patient with the Female Lead's abused past; she's a tiny Omega and treated like a slave in her pack."

Same old, same old. Bridget bit into the food.

"Poor girl was so underfed with a carrot a day throughout her life; can you believe that?"

Nope.

"How barbaric! But she grew up to be a petite hot babe with big boobs and the smoothest skin--which of course, caused envy to the higher-ranking she-wolves to torture her more, and the males to molest her; especially the pack Alpha's son--"

Really, now...

"--until one day she escaped to the woods--got caught and beaten in public, poor girl--but it happened to be the day the sexy ginger Alpha visited her pack! How lucky!"

How convenient.

"Oh, Bridge, when he found out she was his mate and mistreated, he became so angry his growl shattered the packhouse windows! Such power! Everyone was scared!"