𝗢 𝗡 𝗘 | 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗪𝗢𝗟𝗙 𝗜𝗡 𝗕𝗟𝗔𝗖𝗞 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗧𝗘 𝗖𝗟𝗢𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗡𝗚

|| 𝗔 𝗟 𝗘 𝗞 𝗔 𝗡 𝗗 𝗘 𝗥 || 𝖥𝖱𝖠𝖭𝖪𝖥𝖴𝖱𝖳, 𝖦𝖤𝖱𝖬𝖠𝖭𝖸: 𝖥𝖱𝖨𝖣𝖠𝖸 ─ 𝖩𝖴𝖭𝖤 𝟤𝟫, 𝟤𝟢𝟪𝟧: 𝟤𝟤:𝟦𝟢
────

"...AND MR. SCHÄFER is completely drunk off his ass. He carries the whole car industry on his back, so it isn't surprising that he needs a drink here or there tonight. Hell, I might need three more later," Professor Gilmore's important colleague, Sofia Neumann, screeches into the microphone.

While the crowd and Ernst Schäfer snicker at Sofia's slightly inappropriate joke, I clutch the stem of my wine glass to embed myself from leaving this function─the scam that they're all ecstatic and chuffed to be here. In reality, being in the comfort of their home couldn't sound better.

"I remember when you formed this brilliant idea one drunken evening. I thought you were joking and secretly doubted you while you put it into motion. But you were confident the whole time. And for that, I am truly sorry," Sofia continues. She lifts her drink into the air towards him. "Congratulations, you old geezer. In just under five years, you sold fifty-three thousand Schlange hover-vehicles in America alone while the numbers are skyrocketing worldwide!"

The crowd cheers on cue like well-trained robots. Two tables stretch horizontally on both sides of the podium Sofia is standing at. Ernst Schäfer, who looks more uninterested than drunk, sits a few seats away from her to her right, his face resting on his fist raised on the table. He waves at his subjects with the other hand.

ID#: 3224648238

Name:

Schäfer, Ernst

Gender:

Male

Date of birth:

August 30, 2045

Age:

39

Place of birth:

Hamburg, Germany

Occupation:

CEO of HoverX

BMA activated:

20 years

Grinning, Sofia clasps her hands together. "If no one else has anything to say, let the party continue!"

Delicate harmonies sound through the restaurant like birds chirping during spring. Warm lights caress men dressed in fine suits and women wearing dazzling dresses as they resume their conversations. Sofia and the few friends she had assisted her outdid themselves with this function. With its black, white, and gold color scheme, the interior gives the impression of a grand ball (like the one from Beauty and the Beast) rather than a social event between coworkers.

Each table has five chairs gathered around them, and decorative cups filled with napkins are placed on top. Balloons, with smaller ones attached to their strings, are tied to the balcony, and ceiling drapes are covered in faux sunflowers.

Unlike most of the time, I blend well into the crowd like a needle in a haystack, replacing my blood-stained shirt and jeans with a black-and-white suit. Vinny put two tight braids in my hair before shoving them into a high ponytail traveling to the middle of my back. My fringes are drawn out of my gray eyes, smudged with mascara so the world can see my face more.