Chapter 5 ~ Tris

This takes place at the end of Divergent.

* * *

I watch as Jeanine struggles to turn back on her system, the one that turned all the Dauntless into killing machines.

"No...no..." Jeanine sputters, rapidly tapping a button on the large screen in front of her. Nothing happens.

I turn around to Tobias, who's behind me, also watching Jeanine. He looks beat up, but happy. We did it. We stopped her.

I turn back around to Jeanine. "Don't get me wrong. There's a certain beauty to your resistance," I say, mocking what she said to be earlier. She flashes her eyes to me, full of rage.

She flings herself on me and starts attacking me. I try to push her off but she has a rock solid grip on my arms. I feel Tobias's strong hands join me in ripping her off me.

I quickly grab a thing - I'm too hyped to see what it is - and harshly bring it to her head. She crumples to the ground, knocked out. I look at the thing, and it's some kind of pipe.

"We gotta go. Now," Tobias says, jogging towards the others, which includes Caleb, Peter, and Marcus.

Go where? my mind immediately asks. There is no Abnegation anymore, and even if there was I wouldn't want to go there. We can't stay in Dauntless, either...

I shove it out of my head and pick up a gun from one of Jeanine's knocked out guards. I follow Tobias, taking the rear. Tobias starts running, leading us out of Dauntless headquarters. Everyone else follows. I'm behind Marcus, staring at the back of him. If it was up to me, I would have him stay here. He was the head of my faction, but now that I found out what he used to do to Tobias, he's a whole new person to me. I hate him now. I resist the urge to kill him while I run.

Tobias leads us outside, where I hear a train whistle. I look and see that a train is coming on the tracks. I don't know where this train is going, but I guess it's our only option.

Tobias starts running alongside the tracks, so the rest of us follow. When the train is beside him, he hoists himself up and opens a door. He swings himself in.

Peter gets in quickly after him. Then Caleb struggles to run fast enough for the door, but he eventually does and Tobias helps him in, half carrying him.

"Son!" Marcus yells, holding out his hand and struggling more than Caleb did.

I watch Tobias closely, secretly and rudely hoping that he would let Marcus go.

But he doesn't. His face is blank as he grabs his father and pulls him in the train, to my dismay. I wonder why he did that. I figure I'll ask him later.

I sprint along side the train, the only person not in yet. Tobias's head is sticking outside the door, watching me. I'm exhausted, but I can do it.

"I got it!" I scream, my voice sounding high for some reason. I don't want Tobias thinking I can't.

"I know you do," he says, but he holds out his hand to help me anyway. I grab it and he pulls me up, and gets us both in the train.

He closes the door, and all five of us stand there, panting. The train is dirty, with boxes everywhere and a musty smell strong. I wonder where this train is going, and I wonder if we're going to stay wherever it's going.

"What now?" Caleb says in between pants. He's panting harder than any of us, with his face red and his eyes bloodshot.

Tobias half shrugs and half shakes his head. "I don't know." He's barely panting. The room is silent, and I'm scared. I thought Tobias had a plan, but I guess he doesn't.