chapter 1

Seventeen years ago

Adeline

"Happy birthday Addie!" is how I'm woken up. It's jay, the boy I fell in love with the moment I saw him, the day he moved to this shitty town. He's the light in all the dark places I hide.

A lot of people say fifteen is too young to know what love is. It's not, when you grow up not having an ounce of it from anyone. I'm sixteen today, not that birthdays hold a special place in my life. It's just another day. "Hi," I smile at him as he lays on top of my comforters on my bed. "Why are you up so early?"

"I had to be the first person to come tell my girl happy birthday."

"You could have been the first if you slept in too, jay."

"I'll be the first for the rest of your life, pretty girl."

"I hope so." I tell him honestly. Jasper, or jay as everyone calls him, has been the only person in my life beside my best friend Cara to give a fuck. He's a year older than me and could have his pick of any girl at our school, but he chose me.

Jay is the most good looking guy I have ever seen, his brown hair and blue eyes are a perfect contrast to my blonde hair and dark green eyes. He's tall at least six one to my five two. We both come from shitty homes. His mom bailed when he was little and his dad is never around. My dad died of an overdose two years ago my mom stays high and drunk most of the time, before my dad died they both were high and drunk all the time.

"What do you want to do today?" He asks me.

"We have school." I laugh at him.

"Nope, we're skipping"

"Jay, I can't skip."

"Yes you can, it's Friday and you haven't missed one day this year. You'll be okay. You are already graduating a year early take a day for yourself."

"Fine." I sigh.

Honestly, I'm happy to skip school and spend the who day with him. "Cara and Abel are meeting us at the diner for breakfast. Do you want your present now ot later?"

"You got me a present, jay why did you do that?"

"Because I love you, pretty girl."

"Jay, I don't want you spending money on me. You literally work all the time when you're not at school just to have a place to sleep and food. I don't want you spending your money on me."

"Please, peach let me give you a present."

I can't help but smile at the nickname he gave me a week after we our first conversation. He told me it fit since I lived in Georgia and was sweet as a peach. "Fine," I sigh holding out my hand for the present.

He smiles before reaching over the edge of my bed grabbing his back pack he takes everywhere with him, and pulling out a small box. I'm nervous when he hands it to me. When I open. The lid I see two rings sitting inside both with a hand holding a pinky up, the feminine one is silver with the letter 'J'engraved in it the masculine one is black with the letter 'a'engraved into it.

I look up with tears in my eyes. "What is this, jay?"

"It's a promise, peach. A promise to always love you and to always do what's best for you." He said taking my ring out of the box and sliding it on my right ring finger. He takes his ring out and hands it to me. When he holds out his right hand I slide his ring on too. "I love you peach"

"I love you too, sweetheart" I say before leaning in to kiss him.

I wish I would have known then that those rings didn't mean shit. I found that out a little over a year later, when he was gone and I was sitting on the floor of mine and Cara's livingroom crying with a pregnancy test in my hand...

Sixteen years ago

"Are you going to tell him?" Cara asked holding me close in her arms while I sobbed.

"How? He left, I don't know where he went, I have no way of getting ahold of him, his phone says its disconnected." That didn't stop me from calling it repeatedly until Cara got home from classes.

Right after I took the test I went to Jay's trailer. He's been distancing himself from me for a couple months now. He told me he needed time to figure his life out, he said he needed space. We texted every once in awhile. He broke it off with me two weeks ago. When I showed up today all of his stuff was gone, and so was he.

"I'm so sorry, addie." Cara cries with me.

"What am I supposed to do? I'm seventeen, I just started college. Jay's MIA, im living with you, i don't have anything."

"What do you want to do addie? If you want to keep the baby, I'll help you. Whatever you decide I'm here for you."

After a moment of silence i answer. "I'm keeping the baby." I nod in absolution. This baby is apart of me, this baby is apart of jay. The only part of jay I have left. Looking down at my hands I see the ring jay had given me for my sixteenth birthday and spin it around my finger. The pain in my heart intensifies as I remeber all the lies he told me to go with it.

"This is your home addie. It doesn't matter that it's in my name. We both know the only reason both of our names aren't on it is because you're not eighteen yet, but this is your home, our home, and this baby's home. Everything is going to be okay, I promise."

Sixteen years ago
Jasper

I got involved with the wrong people, I thought if I just sold their shit for awhile I'd be able to make some quick cash and take addie away from this hell hole. That's not how it worked out.

I was serving a prison sentence, I refused to tell her, I couldn't see the look of disappointment in her eyes if she knew what I was doing. She thought I was still working at the farm. She had no idea for the last year I have been selling drugs and beating the shit out of people who didn't pay up. My latest run in with the police got me a drug charge.

I pushed her away I couldn't let her wait for me while I was locked up, she deserves more than that, she desevers more than me. So I did the only thing I could think of, I ended us. Now I'm serving a five years. I could have got it shortened, but I'm not a snitch.

The only person who knew I'm  in here is Abel. He's in Tennessee going to college. He promised to make sure to call and check on my girl, and to make trips down to Georgia whenever he could. I knew it wouldn't be often, it's not like he's got a bunch of money either, but he kind of owes me for taking the fall on a job that was his. He had a future ahead of him unlike me.