01

୨୧

୨୧

In the heart of the Glade, a place that had become Valerie's home for the past three years, she found comfort in the familiarity of her surroundings. The towering walls, the hustle of the Gladers, and the maze itself had become a part of her existence. Yet, even after all this time, the anticipation of the Box's arrival never failed to make her heart race.

As the creaking sound filled the air, Valerie heard a voice from below. "Valerie!" Newt called as she peered over the railing of the tall wooden treehouse. "Come on!"

She laid her book down and scrambled down the treehouse ladder, landing with a grunt when her feet met the ground.

"Ready?" Newt asked her once she was joined to his side.

"Am I ever?" She replied with a sigh. Already, the swam of boys crowded around the box, anxious to see their new arrival.

Her and Newt stood at the edge of the gathering crowd, her eyes fixed on the rising metal crate. The excitement and curiosity were noticeable among her fellow Gladers, but for Valerie, it was something more. It was a chance for something new, a glimmer of hope in the seemingly endless cycle of the Glade.

"You think this could be it?" He questioned, giving her a sideways glance.

Could this be the day? No, she couldn't get ahead of herself. Ever since Valerie was the first girl to come up to the glade, she longed for the day another girl came along.

She remembered her own arrival, the disorientation and fear that gripped her as she emerged from that very Box. Now, as she watched Gally open the box, she couldn't help but wonder what kind of person the new Greenie would be. The Glade had seen its fair share of Greenies, but each one brought with them a unique story and a fresh perspective.

Valerie's pulse quickened as she saw a brunette in a blue shirt stepping out, his eyes wide with bewilderment, mirroring the feelings she had experienced not too long ago. The memories of her initial days in the Glade flooded back, and she empathized with the mixture of fear and curiosity written across the new arrivals face.

Gally was the first to jump into the box. "Day one Greenie, rise and shine" He pulled Blue Shirt out of the box and onto solid ground, the boys laughing and teasing as they do with every new individual.

Valerie was used to the whole new Greenie thing. He would be all confused and scared, Gally would try to intimidate him and Alby would show him around. It was the same every time, yet something about it just seemed so comfortable. There was something relieving about order, knowing what was going to happen.