book one ❧ [vii]

A knock on your door pulled you off your couch the next day. Readjusting your outfit for a brief moment, you then swung it open. The exact vampire you were expecting was on the other side, a heart-stopping smile on his face, bouquet of flowers in one hand, and small wrapped gift in the other.

"Oh, oh wow," you breathed out, accepting the flowers from him. It was a gorgeous arrangement of yellow tulips and white baby's breath, simple but enchanting. "Thank you, Kun."

"Good morning, Y/N."

"Yeah, good morning," you said distractedly, eyes still focused on the flowers. You looked up at him again, giving him a bashful smile, "Uhm, here, I need to put these in some water."

Leaving the door open for him, you turned to go back into your apartment, but were stopped by Kun's voice.

"Ah, Y/N."

"Hm?"

He was still standing on the welcome mat outside, hands clasped behind his back. "I need to be invited in."

"Oh, right, sorry! Kun, please come in."

"Thank you." He stepped inside, closing the door behind him.

"So, how does that work with school and going to class? Like, do you just have to be invited into each building or is it each classroom? What about professors' offices? Is there like a special vampire-only orientation where the president of the college invites all the new vampire students everywhere or something?" You asked him over your shoulder as you moved further into your apartment, your destination being your kitchen.

"The rules are a little fluid, but our university is a public institution, so I don't have to be invited in anywhere."

"Oh. Well, that's a lot less funny than my idea."

"Yours was very efficient," Kun tried to placate you as you busied yourself with rooting through your cabinets.

"So what about if you went to a private university?"

"I've been to one private university before. However, it was run by vampires, so the owners were dead and therefore nobody needed to be invited in anywhere."

"Huh. And my apartment?" You knelt down to check under the sink. "I was able to invite you in, but I don't own it, I rent. Shouldn't my landlord have been the only one to be able to invite you in?"

Kun had an answer for that one too. "Owner and/or current legal occupant who is there with the owner's permission can invite vampires in."

"So my lease lets me invite supernatural creatures inside, but I can't paint," you rolled your eyes.

Finally, you secured your lone glass vase at the back of the cabinet under the sink, behind a couple bottles of cleaning products.

"What color would you paint the walls, if you could paint?"

You filled the vase up under the faucet. "Probably a different color in each room. Dark green in the living room, goldenrod in the kitchen, something like that. I don't know, the neutral beige grey is so boring. Especially with the fake grey hardwood."

He smiled at you. "Very colorful. I like that."

Having finally gotten the flowers in water, you turned back to accept the package wrapped in simple brown paper and twine. Curiously undoing the small twine bow first, then tearing the paper open, you saw that it was an old, thick, leatherbound book, and trailed your finger over to read the spine.