book two ❧ [v]

"What are you so dressed up for?" You quirked an eyebrow up when you caught sight of Kun re-emerging from the bedroom in a fresh button-up shirt and pair of dress slacks. "It's just Kunhang and Yangyang."

The vampire went back to the pan that he had been tending to on the stove. "I'm hosting dinner at my house, for one. And for some reason that I can't seem to put my finger on, this feels like a meet-the-parents part two."

You scoffed at that little jest at the end. "You've met Kunhang before."

"And I got this weird feeling that he didn't like me."

"Oh, was it the death glares or all the times I told you he was trying to talk me out of dating you that clued you in?"

He chuckled. "Still, it can't hurt to want to make a good impression."

You came up behind him, wrapping your arms around his waist and resting your chin on his shoulder. "It's going to be fine, hon. I'm here, and Yangyang will be too, which I think will actually help for once."

"That is a scary thought."

"You know, I think we give him too little credit sometimes."

"Who? Yangyang?"

"Yes."

"And why is that?"

"If it weren't for his ineptitude, we wouldn't have gotten together."

"Oh, I don't know about that." Kun set his spatula down and turned around. He readjusted the collar of your shirt, tender gaze tracing over your features. "Now, call me superstitious, but—"

You couldn't help but giggle at the concept of a vampire being superstitious. A soft smile played across Kun's lips before he continued.

"—but I think that we would have found each other without the love potion. I don't know which one of our choices would have eventually made the life that finally brought us together like this, but I think they would. My miracle..." He cupped your cheeks, pulling you in for a gentle, sweet kiss.

While you never wanted this moment to end, the faint, acrid smell of something burning wafted up to your nose, and before you had fully processed that, Kun was already pulling back from the kiss. He cursed under his breath, turning around and pulling the pan off the burner, quickly flipping the food over. You peeked around him to look, seeking a few spots that were a bit blackened.

"Sorry..." You pecked his cheek sheepishly before stepping back fully to leave the kitchen.

Kunhang and Yangyang arrived soon after, the witch almost immediately, and predictably, making a crack about Kun's house looking like a yard sale, which the gryphon found hilarious. Soon, though, you were seated for dinner, Kun dishing up food for everybody then taking his seat beside you.

"I do have to apologize, one side got a little too crispy," Kun bowed his head apologetically as everybody had picked up their utensils. "I did my best to alleviate it after the fact, but there may still be some burned areas."

"Oh, and what were you two doing?" Kunhang waggled his eyebrows, lifting his fork to his mouth.

"Mm?" Your boyfriend didn't look up from cutting up his food. "Ah, I was changing my shirt and Y/N was setting the table so neither of us were paying attention."

You opted not to respond, busying yourself with taking a deep sip of your water.

Your gryphon friend dropped his fork back onto his plate with a clatter, disgust on his face. "Y/N, I can hear your heartbeat! Gross!"