Chapter 16: NO coffee break

Upon further reflection, I realize I am not prepared to return.

I have taken small steps and entered the workforce, which was difficult, so I looked for jobs that did not need a degree. I submitted my resume to food fairs and cleaning positions with an agency. Analia was the one who founded Alan and Max's company. She told me to put in the application that I was an administration student so I could be their secretary.

An assistant of Max interviewed me, which was less intimidating, and she gave me a chance. The angels helped me that day; it was my time to get out of the hole that had become my life. But return to a classroom? I still have nightmares from that time. I guess it's post-traumatic stress.

One of my recurring dreams resurfaced after I had that conversation with Max yesterday: the teacher reprimanding me. — You are neither sufficient nor capable. Do not make me waste my time. — I woke up startled. Sky jumped on my bed to comfort me.

Thismorning, I put that behind me. I focus on my present and current abilitiessince the past is unchangeable, no matter how hard I try. I feel only theremnant of menace on my chest, my outfit today: «gray. », a zip-front jacketinspired by the one Olivia Pope wore in Scandal.

 », a zip-front jacketinspired by the one Olivia Pope wore in Scandal

I take my keys, and that is when my phone rings with a message;

1 (806) 5217 89 17_ 8:05 a.m.

«How about that coffee today? »

It is an unknown number, but I am not obtuse enough not to know who it is. However, I may be wrong, and I am assuming things that are better not assuming. I do not have lines of people inviting me for coffee who do not know I do not drink.

— How did he get my number? — Sky barks at that moment, his ears attentive as if answering my stupidity.

Dah! He owns the company where you work. My heart aches now, however, different, a mixture of uncertainty and terror, but is it excitement that I feel? I cannot distinguish or differentiate between the two.

Through my head, I imagine different scenarios; I say yes; we go to the cafe near the office and order, but I do not know what I order. We sit by the window, but what if someone sees us? And they judge me for having a non-coffee with my boss, my superior.

I'm wondering what I'm doing or thinking. I want to maintain a professional relationship.; I must not let my mind mix my fantasies with reality. Men like Alan don't show any interest in someone like me.

I shouldn't answer and thus save him the need for commitment. Right? Yes, it's the best. It was nice, our little accidental interactions. That's why they happened, but I'm socially inept, and he knows it or is already realizing it. The best approach is to let this fade away and die out.

I leave the house and start my walk. I have made the best decision. When I have advanced three blocks, my phone rings. I see the screen; it is the same number. Consciously, I put it in my coat and unconsciously block myself so as not to answer. I don't know if you understand me, well I don't even understand myself.