Chapter Four

"Senjuro! Where did you learn to cook such amazing food?" Mizuki exclaimed as she took another bite of her meal, salmon daikon.

"Hey! I helped." Rengoku laughed, taking another bite, "But I must admit, Senjuro has truly picked up making us delicious food!"

"It's a talent we should be grateful for." Shinjuro grunted, "Especially since Kyojuro burns all of our food."

"Not true!" Rengoku exclaimed, "Only some of the time! And I did not burn the food today!"

Senjuro let out a soft laugh, "You almost did! I had to come in and remind you to check on it."

Rengoku chuckled along with his brother as he took another bite of his salmon, "I suppose you are right." He finished his food and turned to Mizuki, "Mizuki, when you are finished with your food, we must discuss Final Selection."

Mizuki nodded, swallowing the last of her food, "Just finished. Now what?"

Rengoku looked to his brother and his father, clearly debating whether he should move locations or not to have this conversation, then let out a soft sigh, a smile still plastered to his face as he knelt in a more comfortable position. "Tomorrow, you will go to Mount Fujisake for Final Selection. I have had this conversation with you before, but I shall repeat myself!" Kyojuro's tone was still as light as before, "The objective is to survive for seven days. The trial takes place in a location where wisteria blooms year round. That is, except for this week. You must slay any demons who attempt to attack you, in order to survive!"

Mizuki rolled her eyes slightly, smiling, "Well obviously. What else would I do, attempt to befriend it?"

Rengoku let out a soft laugh, "I wpuld assume no less than a sharp tongue from you, Mizuki. Perhaps that is why I have enjoyed training you far more than all of my previous Tsuguko!"

"Maybe you would've liked your previous Tsuguko more if you didn't keep scaring them away with your harsh training methods!" Senjuro exclaimed.

"They were too soft for Flame Breathing anyway." Shinjuro scoffed, though he had a playful tone to his voice.

Rengoku simply smiled at the banter between his family and went on, "Now, Mizuki, I need you to tell me what a good tactic is for the given situation, where you must survive demons for seven whole days. How must you stay alive and healthy?"

Mizuki thought for a moment. The obvious answer would be 'kill the demons,' obviously, but there was more to it. She had to find time to eat and rest, as well, so she could stay in adequate shape.

"Hmm. Well I suppose I would have to become nocturnal, wouldn't I?" Mizuki chuckled as she looked at her mentor, "Since I can't sleep during the night or the demons will kill me."

"Right! Some people do not think of that and end up dead." Rengoku smiled.

"Maybe you sanded down their brains with your 'rough training.'" Mizuki teased.

"And it would have been just as rough for you if Senjuro didn't insist on me cooling down a bit!" Rengoku shot back.

"You were going to scare her away, and I actually like her." Senjuro replied softly.

"I can admit that you have a point! Though I believe that Mizuki would not have given up anyways." Rengoku smiled warmly at Mizuki, "Now, we must return to the topic. I do have something for you." Rengoku stood up, crossing to the other end of the room and picking something up, walking back to his original spot. He laid the object on the floor in front of him, a bright red sword.

"This is my old sword, from before I got a strengthened one after my promotion! I am lending it to you for Final Selection. Of course, you will have one of your own after it is over, and it will change color depending on you." Rengoku explained, his tone somehow loud and gentle at the same time.