Reconciliation

NOT ME GETTING DISTRACTED BY SCHOOL AND WATCHING AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER SJZHBDIAKSNDBDHD  ITS NOT MY FAULT THE SHOW IS A W E S O M E???

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hero sat down with his family, right opposite to Kel. He was trying to catch his eye but either Kel was oblivious as usual, or Kel just blatantly ignored him.

Probably the second option.

The stuffed peppers tasted wonderful as usual, just like all of his mother's cooking, but he wasn't concentrating on that.

He just wanted his little brother back.

His mother seemed to catch on to this, so she tried to start up the conversation.

"So...Kelsey..", she said, spooning food into Sally's mouth, "How was your day, darling?"

"It was good.", He replied shortly.

This was going to be a long night.

If Hero couldn't get a good reply out of him, maybe his mother could.

"How was Basil, dear? Is he doing good?"

"Yes."

It was Hero's turn to try again now.

"H-how were...his injuries? Did they heal..?", Hero asked, trying to steady his voice.

"Why would it matter to you?"

Oh dear.

The whole family felt the sudden change in the atmosphere, and it felt unnatural. Even his father had started to glance between Hero and Kel uneasily.

"I-I just...asked, y'know-", Hero stammered.

Kel slammed his first on the table, "There's no reason for you to care now, is there? Now let me eat, I'm starving.", He said, clenching his teeth.

It was a quiet dinner after that.

Kel got up after some time, clearing his plate. Hero looked at him miserably as he tried to make eye contact again, but to no avail, as Kel disappeared up the stairs

Hero thumped his head against the table, "I'm a horrible brother, aren't I?"

His mother looked at his father, exchanging glances. She put her hand on his back, attempting to comfort him, "Darling, it's going to be fine. Just give him time, alright?"

Hero's hair drooped and he replied despondently, "I don't- I don't think that it will be fine...I-"

"Listen, Henry,", his father cut in quite unexpectedly, "Fights happen all the time. You two are brothers. No matter how bad it was, you'll both work it out."

Hero lifted his head to look up at his family, all smiling warmly and encouragingly. He felt a spark of confidence surge back into his heart and he tried for a brave smile.

"T-thank you all..", he said gratefully.

His mother gave a proud nod and he stood up, his shakiness greatly reduced now, and headed upstairs.

Each step he took felt like he was marching towards a big mistake. However he was determined to fix this.

He had to.

And if he didn't....

He didn't want to think about it.

Before he knew it, the door to their room stood slightly ajar infront of him. There was no light inside, but a silhouette sitting on his bed stood out in the light from the window...