i. home , sweet home

"i'm still jenny from the block."

--

"outer banks , north carolina."

my heart sank. i'd lived my entire life in philadelphia , pennsylvania. it was the only city i had ever known - the streets , the people , the sounds. everything about it felt like home to me , even though it wouldn't be my home anymore.

dad pulled the car into our driveway. "home , sweet home."

i almost snorted. "home" was a bit of a stretch. it's more like a shack. the faded paint is peeling , the windows are cracked and clouded , and the roof tiles are barely holding on.

we all jump out of the car. my mom smiles. "luella , honey. why don't you and your brother go inside while me and your dad sort out the bags ?"

i nod. "sure , mom."

i take hunter inside. his eyes widen. "this house is a piece of crap."

i laugh in surprise. "you can say that one again. i would move back to philly in a heartbeat."

hunter sighs. "how are we supposed to live here ?"

i shrug. "i have no fuckin' idea."

--

i fiddle with my locket. it was a gift from my best friend , nevaeh. we met in kindergarten and we've been inseparable ever since. she's what i miss most about philly.

nevaeh
july 9th , 11:53

luella
nev , i miss you sm.

nevaeh
me too ella , come back to philly pls.

luella
i wish i could , trust me.

nevaeh
how's the new crib ?

luella
remember that abandoned cabin we found ?

nevaeh
that bad ?

luella
that bad.

nevaeh
i'm sorry , i'll come visit as soon as i can.

luella
love you.

nevaeh
love ya more.

i put my phone down to go for a run. although i don't want to be here , i can't deny that outer banks is beautiful. i'm running along the beach when i spot a flyer up on a lamppost. "help wanted." perfect. i need some way to make money in this shitty town. it's for some place called the wreck , so i carry on running until i find it.

the wreck is packed full of people , so i wait at the bar to hear about the job application. there's a girl with tangled brown hair , rushing around , taking orders. i can see why they need help.

"welcome to the wreck. do you know what you want to order yet ?"

i shake my head. "no , i'm not here for food. i'm here about the help wanted sign ? i need a job."

she smiles. "thank god. it's been so busy lately. take a seat and i'll get you a form to fill out."

i sit down and she hands me a form. i scribble down my answers and she looks over them. "i haven't seen you around before. are you new ?"

i nod. "yeah , i just moved here from philly."

her eyes widen. "philly ? you came a long way just to get to outer banks."