v. square groupers

"got a crush on this waitress , hope she serve me."

--

i jump into the old , sort of beaten-up van. john b stretches out his hands , like a magician or something. "meet the twinkie."

i laugh. "twinkie ? what , are they your favorite or something ?"

jj shakes his head and whispers. "dude , don't disrespect the twinkie. it's , like , sacred."

i nod solemnly. "of course. i apologize to the god twinkie."

jj tries to keep a straight face , but he bursts out laughing.

john b turns around. "we're almost at ms lana's."

"how are we going to go about asking her ? i mean , her husband just died. do you really think she'll want to talk about the compass ?"

john b shakes his head sadly. "i don't know , but she's the only person we can ask , so i'm going to. i know my dad's still out there , and this might help me find him."

i nod. "okay , then. if you're that set on it , we will."

we pull up to a house. it's unkept , and dirty , but i have no place to judge. my home isn't any better. i zone out thinking about philly for a second , until jj brings me back.

"whoever lives here smokes too much weed." he says.

i scoff. "as opposed to you ? as if you've never touched weed in your life." i could do with a joint right now.

"touché , luella." he says.

i raise an eyebrow. "how do you know what that means ?"

he rolls his eyes. "i know some things , you know. like , i actua-"

i interrupt. "pope taught you ?"

he pauses for a second , and then sighs. "yeah."

i nod. "that's what i thought."

we hear the sound of glass smashing , and john b puts a finger up , motioning for us to stop walking.

"shit ! maybe we should come back ? it's a little too soon." jj stands in front of me , giving john b an unsure glance.

john b shakes his head. "no , shut up , jj. just follow my lead."

we edge closer to the house , hearing shouts as we go.

"tell me where it is .. or i'll fuck you up." a man says , in a menacing voice.

there's a loud crash , and i duck in fear. i hear a woman , who i assume to be ms lana , scream. "you're hurting me !" i gasp.

"come on." john b says. we go round to the side of the house.

"we have to help her." i whisper , as we crouch under a window.

john b nods. "i know , but we can't yet. we have to wait."

"where the fuck is it , you bitch ?" the man shouts.

ms lana is sobbing. "i don't know. please .."

"is it here in this house ?" another voice says.

"or somewhere else ?" there's two men in there with her.

"i - i didn't .." ms lana trails off.

my heart burns at hearing this. i want so badly to call the police , or to go in there to help her. lana whimpers , helpless.

john b tries to look through the window , but jj yanks him back in one fast motion. "you - still think we should stay ?" jj asks , but john b ignores him.