chapter 5

Amanda

The following week was my ceremony started on Friday dad did my umemulo it was a great day of traditional singing and dancing.

We ate drank and celebrated.

In the afternoon I was packing my clothes this moment was emotional and difficult for me.

I looked at my bedroom and sighed I was going to be a royal now .

I was taken to the kraal with my kist my father is a traditional man so we had to do all the Zulu traditions accordingly.

I cried the pain of leaving my family forever was just too much for me to
handle.

Later on my family and I left to kwaNongoma.

On Saturday the big day was here.

My older sister was my biggest supporter in the morning I was given advices by old
women on how to behave as a married woman and how
to treat my husband .

When they were done my sister did
my make-up and styled my hair and also did my nails

When she was done she helped me wear my Zulu traditional attire isidwaba which is a leather skirt worn by the bride and  isicwayi which are
the breds used to cover the bride's  breasts i then whore a necklace piece, bracelets and anklets.

I put on inkehli on my head I was carrying a small knife which symbolised that I'm still a virgin.

I looked beautiful like a true Zulu bride

My look

We spent a night at a lodge kwaNongoma buses were hired to fetch people from my village and all other villages and towns around KZN that is how it is marrying into a royal family

They carried my kist to the groom's
gate we sang a song for the groom's family to open the gate , We sang this sonsong until they decided to open the gate for us when we inside we continued with the song .

They led us to esigcawini(place where the ceremony takes place) the wedding was to take place there and the space was the biggest

The two families competed against each other through the medium of Zulu traditional songs the person incharge like a pastor for marriage asked.

"The law is asking do you love this man and are youtaking him?" I was told put the knife down and I did that and then Zulu danced.

After that we proceeded to the gifting ceremony I was gifting my in laws with blankets grass mats pinafores for women costs and hat's for men and other gifts.

The gifting ceremony took too long and I was dead tired.

When the gifting ceremony was done and everyone was not looking I ran away lol this is part of our Zulu culture it's part of the wedding games umakoti runs away and she runs until she gets to her home the groom's family have to pay a fine so that they can get their bride back.