finale !¡

─────── 𝐂 𝐇 𝐀 𝐏 𝐓 𝐄 𝐑    𝟑𝟕 ───────

[6:23pm]

Yeram watched as her friends each sat in their groups allocated to one police/ambulance car. After the explosion, a near-by hiker called the police, and they came to investigate, finding the worn out group of teenagers.

They had been bought warm blankets, hot drinks, snacks and a couple of medical teams after the police caught sight of their bruises and cuts.

Riki was sitting by himself near a tree, staring into empty air. Yeram sat down next to him, the biscuit tin still in her arms. She hadn't let go of it for a single second after Aera gave it to her. "Here," she handed it to him. "She wanted me to give this to you."

Riki stared at the tin, "What is it?"

She shrugged, "No clue, but it's important if Aera wanted to get it to you at all costs."

He nodded, taking it.

Yeram got up, rubbing his shoulder comfortingly before leaving. Riki watched her stumble away with the slightly limp on her left leg. He waited until she was out of sight, before turning his attention to what was in front of him.

He opened up the tin, and he might have been hallucinating but suddenly, Aera's scent filled the air.

Riki frowned, tracing the endless folded papers with his finger.

He took out the one that was right on top of the rest, unfolding it. His eyes darted back and forth the familiar curves and scribbles of Aera's handwriting.

11th April

Dear Riki,

It's been more than a month since you left. Why haven't you replied to any of my texts or answered my calls? I promised myself to never give up trying, but the truth is Riki... I'm tired. Hope is slowly fading out of me. I want you to come back, so why don't you come back? I miss you. I miss you more than you can imagine. Do you miss me too?

I don't think these letters will ever get to you since I'm too scared to even try and send them. The only way I suppose you'll ever end up reading this if the worst happens. Which it won't, hopefully.

I haven't told any of the group, but I'm scared. Things are changing, and so are people. Jungwon disappeared from the face of the earth and I can't help but think that the killer took him. And if so, that means more bad news for us. The killer can easily use him as bait to lure us.

No, no. I have to think positively. That won't happen. Jungwon will be back soon. Maybe he's just taking a break from all of this. Bless, he's so overworked. I really hope he's taking the rest he deserves.

I hope you're doing good too, Riki. How's Japan with Kaito? Is it everything you ever dreamed of? Hoped for?

I think this will be the very last letter I'll ever write, because I can't help but shake that little voice in my head that tells me the end is coming soon.

Even so I wish to see you before that. I want to see you one last time in person to tell you that I love you. I never thought things would turn out this way, but even so you will forever be the one person I would want to spend my last breath with.

I saw a shooting star last night, and I wished for you. That's going to be my wish forever until I see you again.

Love always;
Your Aera.

The letter dropped from Riki's hand, fluttering into the pile of the other papers Aera's heart and soul were poured into.

Overwhelming guilt surged Riki as burning tears began cascading down his face.

[8:47pm]

One of the forensic officers gathered the group to huddle together by the fireplace they made.

"So," she began. "We went to the crime scene and there were a few things we were able to obtain. First of all your bags that were left nearby have all been recovered and have been taken in. We have ruled you all out as suspects in this attempted homicide as some of the officers went to Kwon Jiu's facility at your school and indeed found all the evidence of her phone as well as a written diary with all her crimes in it."

"What about Aera?" Ahyeun interrupted.

"Have you found any of her stuff?" Yeram's voice was hoarse from all the crying.

The officer sighed, nodding. "Well, I was about to say that yes.. your friend's deteriorated body has been found and identified as hers from dental records."

The girls swallowed back tears as the news broke to them.

"We didn't find her bag unfortunately, just some burnt pieces of fabric and paper here and there. The only thing we were able to take from her was this bracelet."

The lady fished out a charm bracelet, that miraculously seemed untouched, and held it out to them. She passed it to Yeram and everyone crowded around her shoulders to examine it too.

It was the charm bracelet that Aera never took off, even if the silver didn't match the rest of the jewelry she wore it remained on her wrist. Yeram's finger stroked each charm, her brows knitting together as she went through them.

Ballet shoes. Paint palette. Gymnastic ribbons. Ice skates. Taekwondo figure. Lipstick. Comedy and tragedy mask. Basketball. Volleyball. Boombox. Football. Musical note. Even a violin. And finally a blue sapphire birthstone.

"Oh my gosh," Hari looked closer. "I never realized."

Aera really did carry her heart on her sleeves. Her friends were her heart. Her beating passion.

Who could've guessed the slithers of silver that flashed in everyone's eyes everyday were more sentimental than a couple of charms stuck to a bracelet?

[25 | 04 | 23 , 8:43pm]

Riki, dressed in a black suit and fresh out of Aera's funeral, trailed up the hills.

He sat in the same place Aera sat everyday writing a letter to him. He watched the same view she did everyday as she spoke to him through a piece of paper. He felt the same tranquility she did as he let go of everything around him. The tree that overshadowed the bench was in full blossom now. Spring was at its peak. Aera's favorite time of them year.

Riki looked up, a cherry blossom fell down next to him and he picked it up. The flower reminded him so much of his Aera.

Delicate, beautiful and pink.

He chuckled, remembering how Aera used to wear only shades of pink once upon a time. Getting up, he walked towards the stump of the tree. Riki crouched in his knees, not caring if his new suit was getting dirty. He pulled out the pocket knife from his pants, beginning to dig at the earth.

When Riki decided the hole was big enough, he grabbed the biscuit tin filled with letters from his side and placed it inside. He stared at it for a second, before swiping the dirt from the side over it.

Riki patted down the last layer, before taking out a wrapped up tissue from his blazer pocket.

He unfolded it, dropping the seeds to the ground before adding another layer of earth.

Pink roses were going to grow on the memoir of his pink-loving lover.

Taking the knife to his hand again, he began carving into the tree bark. Almost ten minutes went by and he was done. Riki got up, nodding contently.

This will do. Riki left the place as quickly as he arrived.

The sun set down into the horizon, the last splashes of bright color reflecting on the carved letters.

R+A

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ╰┈─➤the end.
ꕀ˚6929