2/Angel

School gets out, and I feel a slight feeling of relief, yet it comes crashing down again when I realize that I have to stay afterschool for my school council meeting. I honestly don't know why I choose to be on it, it was offered to me.

I don't feel like a leader neither would want to lead people into "doing the right thing", but I made a promise to my friend to help out.  So I wouldn't want to break it.

Everyone sits on the table, facing each other. They're talking about how to encourage students to show up for school. I'm listening but my mind's obviously thinking about that one student.

"So, Mai. What do you think?"

Hearing my name spoken grabs my attention, my friend is the one wanting it. I meet her eyes but suddenly feel lost. I end up asking, "I'm sorry, but could you repeat that?'' A few snickers are heard around me, but I ignore them.

"It's fine, I was just wondering what do you think we should do to get people to come to school. have any ideas?" The school council president smiles brightly as she's curious about my thoughts.

I pause for a second, brainstorming any ideas that seem somewhat reasonable..

"Maybe we should host a festival, but if that's too much we can host a sporting event'' Why would I even mention that. I know I wouldn't attend either of them.

"Hmm, that's a good idea. Maybe we should look into that. But that'll be all for today, I wouldn't want to keep you guys here any longer. So that's all for the meeting folks!'' She claps her hands together to emphasize her statement.

I sigh in relief. And start to be the first one to head out. I'd hate to walk in the dark.

As I rush to get to my locker, I hear my name's called again by the same person.

"Mai! Wait up!'' I turn my head to see her. Lyla, my friend since middle school. She has pretty blue eyes and nice blond hair. Like an angel. She seems overly excited to see me, I usually would be but I feel exhausted. I still greet her.

"Hey, what're you in such a rush for? I'm right here." She rolls her eyes at me and leans in, " I should be asking you that question. You might end up leaving me." Suddenly she hugs on me and drops her weight all over me, causing me to have to try to keep us both up.

"Stop, wait stop please! I don't want to fall on this floor.'' She gets up back on her feet, and i end up laughing and she follows. "Okay, okay. Just watch the speed next time. Or I might end up making sure you actually fall.''

--

For a while we walk together, but have to part ways due to our houses being in different spots. We wave goodbye and I start making my way home.

I start to feel uneasy all of the sudden. It's dark. And quiet.

I walk, trying to walk fast. I start to get slightly exhausted so I slow down for a few. And just when I do I hear a noise.

I stop completely. Listening.

But why am I doing this, I should be rushing home. I realize what I'm feeling is fear. Why am I paralyzed, what am I so afraid of?

I snap out of it, when run home. As fast as I could, as if something's chasing me. I can feel my heart beating out of my chest, and my pants couldn't have been any louder. I make it to my doorstep and open the door. Closing it and locking it quickly when I get inside.

I take a deep breath in, and let it out as I take off my shoes. Feeling at ease.

"Mai? Is that you?"

My mom comes in, seeing my worn out state. Her brown eyes are fixed on me, trying to figure out why do I look so rough. "Why do you look like you've been running a marathon?''

I try to catch my breath, trying to give myself a chance to speak. But I'm afraid that I wouldn't have that chance soon.

"Mai, are you okay?'' She's starting to worry, as she starts to inch closer to me. Holding her hands out to inspect me.

I take one final breath, then spoke "I'm okay, don't worry. I was just racing Lyla home. I think I've won" I put on a rough smile.

My mom laughs, helping me to put my bag down and stuff. "Well, go on and take a shower love. Food should be ready by the time you get out.''

I nod and head up to the stairs.

--

After I eat I realized that I forgot to take my contacts out, I look at myself in the mirror and take a full glance at myself. An average height girl, with brown curly hair is staring back at me. Her dark skin is pretty clear, I look at myself and say "Not too bad''.

I sit down and take my contacts out. My brown eyes show their true nature with their colors not matching. One brown and one blue. I sigh and lean back in my seat, exhausted. I then get into my bed, laying and trying to put my mind at ease from the events today. While falling into a deep slumber as I'm doing so.

----------