Chapter 3

God of sky,God of Gods…

Deep inside a thoroughly explored forest, two travelers were calmly making their way through the snowy tundra, seeking materials. They walked aimlessly, gathering provisions and anything useful for the upcoming battle, one only vaguely mentioned before. The only sounds heard between them were the heavy croaking of snow beneath their feet and the singing of birds that had stayed in the area despite the cold.

It didn't matter how quiet the woods were or how peaceful their journey seemed. Eris still felt a creeping paranoia at the back of her mind. Her eyes darted around, and her head followed every suspicious movement and sound as they made their way to who knows where. She certainly didn’t.

‘They will find you. You are not safe here. Imagine if someone ran up to you right now and stabbed you.’

She heard in her head a voice that was not her own, a voice she could not recognise. She spun around, looking behind her and froze in place. Desperate, she looked for the source of the voice. The colorless woods held no sign of life other than a fox, but she could imagine them—hiding in the bushes, waiting for the right moment to jump out and raise an axe against her, breaking every bone in her body and killing her on the spot.

“Is everything okay?” Techno asked, pulling her out of her thoughts and imagination, startling her.

‘They are on to you. They will find Phill, Techno, and you, and they will kill you.’

She had never felt this scared. Her hands were trembling, eyes wide as she stared down Techno. Her vision kept playing tricks on her. She saw shadows of animals and men running around the treeline, as if teasing the idea of slaughtering them both. She shook her head, and Techno couldn't help but sigh, taking a few steps towards her. His hand reached out to her, a hand she could have sworn had been bloodied just a short while ago - and she didn't have to look far for proof, as the edges of his fingernails still bore a shade of crimson.

He was about to say something, to calm her and attempt to understand what was going on in her head, where even she herself couldn’t comprehend her thoughts, but a crack of a branch made her sharply drop the crossbow that was strapped to her side and shoot in the direction from which the sound had come from. The arrow almost hit Techno’s head, only narrowly missing him, and with a harsh thud, the arrow landed in the nearest tree, scattering the birds that were sitting in its branches.

‘They are coming for you, Eris.’ She once again heard that incessant voice in her head, but this time it wasn’t a stranger's voice, but rather, a voice she knew all too well, belonging to a man who couldn't keep his promises for the life of him.

“Eris, what's going on?” Techno asked, having grabbed her shoulders in an attempt to ground her. He had seen that expression before - those terrified, dilated eyes, the way those lips trembled with every breath - he’d seen it so many times, but not from Eris. He had seen it in a mirror years ago, and when she looked up from his chest with that expression, he heard the same click as he did then.

However tightly he held her or tried to talk to her, she kept quiet, like keeping another secret that he would never hear, and she was, but not because she didn't want to tell him. She was scared and confused, that's all. Her body stood still as she gave him a smile that only further proved to Techno that something was not right. And yet, somehow, he also figured that nothing he could say or do would help. 

“Come with me,” he pushed out from between his teeth, grabbing her by the hand and pulling her further through the tundra.

They made their way through the thick snow, almost to Eris' knees, up the side of a gentle mountain, finally reaching a cliff with a grand view of the entire tundra, and for a split second she thought she could see the smoke coming from the cabin chimneys faintly visible in the distance. Despite still not being quite high compared to most other mountains in the area - the cold air made it quite difficult to take a breath as the air seemed quite thin already, though perhaps it was Eris’ own state that made it so.