Epilogue

Every battle is won before it’s fought… 

It felt as though that single year had lasted a century. An anniversary, one that was sad to remember yet one which those living in that snowy tundra had to commemorate. 

Technoblade found himself once more standing in an abandoned flower field. The sweet whispers of the waterfall filled his ears as he stood there, looking over the grave that was already covered in moss. It had been here just for a year, yet Techno found himself slightly annoyed at the flora that tried to slowly swallow the rock in its hands, and in time, it probably would - if no one came to visit. But Techno did; he made it his mission to come once a week, no matter how generous or unforgiving the weather was.

He came every week, swept away the moss, laid flowers across the stone, and then sat before it. Sometimes he would sit in silence, but more often, he would talk about the week's events, like updating a far-away friend on their lives. And that was true, in a sense - because the person he spoke to was indeed now gone to some place he could not reach,

This time was no different. He sat down, stayed in silence, and after a bit of hesitation, like making sure his conversation partner was ready for him to speak before opening his mouth. But he knew this time would be nothing like all the times before.

“You know, I never understood why I was called ‘the cursed child.’ I don’t think anyone does, nobody finds themselves strange. I certainly didn’t.”

His words seemed fragile; his breath hitched from time to time. The waterfall hushed the lands, like assuring them that it was fine, and it was. Everyone passed eventually, but the statement never stopped anyone from feeling grief. Techno felt like the forest and the field grieved with him. The wind slowly moved the branches, grass, and flowers living in between, and he hoped that she was grieving alongside him, too.

Slight hesitation washed over him, but that didn't stop his trembling fingers from reaching into his pocket and pulling out a note, carefully folded, though torn. He unfolded the pages and ran his fingers over the words, reminding himself of the content despite reading the words every single day.

‘Asking for help isn't giving up, it's refusing to give up.’

He quietly read to himself, cracking a sad smile. The letter had given a small bit of peace to his mind, knowing that this was what she had wanted only assured him, but it didn't change much. He still missed her, even if he felt like she was with him, watching over him.

Moments passed in silence, and Techno finally stood up. His hands dug through his worn-down bag, pulling out a box that seemed brand new.

“I'd like to make a tradition of us giving gifts to each other on this day. I think I should be the first one to do so.”

He opened the box for the forests, plains and creatures to see, and surely to all their confusion, on top of a red silk pillow sat a flower crown. It shined under the rays of sun as the flowers and leaves were laid in gold. His hands reached for the crown and placed it on top of the gravestone. He didn’t fear it being stolen, the lands surrounded by tall mountains only someone as determined as he was would ever cross. He brushed over the name engraved on the stone and softly smiled, like assuring the person underneath that it was fine, and he would prefer the gift to collect moss alongside the stone rather than collecting dust in his house.

“I refuse to give up, even if I have lost you, so, I ask for your help, or rather - a promise. You can think of it as a gift to me,” he whispered. “Promise me I'll see you again. Maybe in another life, maybe in the kingdom of Gods, it doesn't matter.”

The soft winds brushed over him like assuring that his pleas were heard, and he would see her once more, and really that was all he needed. That was the closure he needed. He grieved, the others knew it as well, but there was no shame in that, the forest would assure him of it.

Feeling satisfied, he picked up his bag and planned on leaving, but before doing so, he took another look at the stone. He felt better, but that did not stop a tear from splitting his cheek in two with a salty line.

“Kristin could have killed the ones who tore Phil’s wings. She could have torn the world apart, but instead, she gifted him something greater. I would like to think I did the same.”

“I hope you are enjoying this gift, my Versailles.”