Chapter 17

Valerie and Kanti woke up early the next day to get ready. While Valerie showered and brushed her teeth, she couldn't help fantasizing about which of her new outfits she should wear for her first full day on her new home world. But when she finally opened her closet, she was overwhelmed by all the choices. In some ways, life was simpler when she was living out of her little suitcase.

"Go with jeans, you'll want to be comfortable since we'll be walking all over the place," Kanti advised. Valerie gave her a grateful smile and quickly changed. She brushed her long hair to get the knots out and swept it up into a ponytail. Then they glided up two floors to bang on Cyrus's door.

"I'm up, don't rush me. You'd think the Fractus were attacking!" Cyrus said, opening the door while still towel-drying his hair.

It was strange to be able to hang out with Cyrus for real. Valerie never had a lot of guy friends her own age before, and in the last two weeks, she now had two—which reminded her of something.

"Will you teach me how to project myself to Earth today? I want to check on Chisisi and Thai."

"No problem, Val. But first, let's go to The Horseshoe. I want to show you the lay of the land out here."

"Count me in, too," Kanti added.

Before they left, they stopped by Dulcea's room for some breakfast. She wasn't there, but she left a warm plate of fluffy, neon-colored pastries with a note saying that anyone who stopped by should help themselves. The weird appearance of the pastries made Valerie hesitant to eat one, but her stomach grumbled. She cautiously nibbled on a corner, and groaned in delight as the sugary sweetness melted on her tongue.

"Dulcea's pastries are made to adapt to your unique taste buds," Cyrus explained, wiping a crumb off of her face. "You're such a little kid sometimes, you know that?" She shut her eyes and ignored him, her mouth still crammed with a neon green piece of heaven.

On Earth, she almost never had a chance to eat treats. In the hospital, they made sure the kids all ate healthy food, and in her foster homes, her parents had rarely spent money on such luxuries. She could definitely get used to eating such delicious food, for free, no less!

The three took a roundabout route to The Horseshoe, which was the heart of Silva, as well as the center of Arden. Kanti and Cyrus answered all of Valerie's questions about the strange buildings that she saw. The giant aquarium skyscraper was a hotel for visiting guests from Illyria, the underwater city on Arden's southeastern border. That way, when the Illyrian mer-Conjurors sent representatives to Global meetings to discuss issues affecting the planet, they had a place to stay.

Kanti also pointed out Enchantz, a nightclub for underage Conjurors to cut loose and show off their dance moves.

"If you ask me, that club is on its way out. I'd skip it," Cyrus said.

"Says the guy who has two left feet," Kanti retorted. "Valerie, you have to see Cyrus try to dance. It's hilarious." Cyrus reddened, but Valerie pretended not to notice, staring at a building that in the shape of a giant mushroom.

When they reached The Horseshoe, Cyrus led the way to an empty grassy area in the middle. Then he cleared his throat. "So you were asking about my power. Prepare to be amazed," he joked.

Cyrus held out his hands, and a glow began to surround them. Valerie noticed that light seemed to be attracted to him, as if drawn to him like a magnet. He moved his hands so quickly that she couldn't see what he was doing, but it almost looked as if he were molding and shaping the light with his hands.

There was a bright flash, and then he held out his hand to her. He was holding a delicate flower that was made completely of light from the petals to the leaves. Valerie didn't even dare to exhale, afraid that her breath might blow it apart.