Chapter 34

Inside Cyrus's house, everything was in meticulous order. There wasn't a speck of dust or an item out of place. The walls were painted white, and there was something almost clinical about the extreme order in the house. Valerie was distracted from her observation by a delicious, familiar smell. She turned to Cyrus, delighted. "Is that roast turkey? I didn't think I'd ever get to eat that ever again!"

"If I'd known you'd get this excited over turkey, I would have brought you here ages ago. Sometimes you're ridiculously easy to please, Val," Cyrus said, the anxiety leaving his voice for the first time since he'd seen his father.

A short woman with long, red hair appeared. "Welcome home, dear," she said, giving Cyrus a light hug and kiss on his cheek.

"Missed you, Mother."

"You must be Valerie and Kanti. You're exactly as Cyrus described you," she said with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

It was strange how parents and children could be so different. Cyrus was so warm and full of life—the exact opposite of his parents. Maybe they were friendlier when they didn't have the burden of two extra guests to feed.

"Thanks for having us, Mrs. Burns," Valerie said.

"Yes, it is a pleasure to meet you," Kanti added.

"Where are the rest of the guests?" Mrs. Burns inquired.

"The other three are fending for themselves. It turns out that we won't have to deal with them at all. Is dinner ready?" Mr. Burns asked.

"Yes, dear, Cara's finishing the gravy. Why don't you all sit down?"

Cyrus's mother disappeared into the kitchen as they all sat down at the table. Valerie could hear her arguing with a girl she assumed must be Cara in the other room.

"I can't believe you're letting her in the house! She's the reason Cy left and never came back!" the girl said passionately.

"Keep your voice down! Don't embarrass us. Azra asked us to do this. We can't very well turn her down, now, can we? Mind your manners."

Valerie was shocked. Were they talking about her? Was she the reason Cyrus hadn't come home? Cara and her mother burst out of the kitchen, their hands full of plates piled with traditional American Thanksgiving food.

Cara had red hair, like her mother, and Cyrus's blue eyes. She was only a year or two younger than Cyrus. Cara shoved a plate in front of Valerie, spilling some of its contents onto the table.

"You must be Cara. I'm Valerie. I've been really excited to meet you—Cyrus has told me a lot about you," Valerie said, smiling tentatively.

Cara snorted. "I'm sure he barely mentions us. But we know plenty about you. You're all he talks about."

Cyrus turned bright red. "Enough, Cara! Nice to see you, too."

"Sure, whatever, big bro. Bet you're overjoyed at a chance for a family reunion."

"Children, I'll thank you to be quiet and eat your food," Mr. Burns glowered.

For several minutes, everyone chewed quietly.

"This is delicious, Mrs. Burns. I've really missed traditional Earth food," Valerie said.

"Thank you."

More silence. Kanti and Valerie exchanged glances, and Kanti nodded, acknowledging that it was her turn to try to dispel the awkwardness with a safe subject. "So, Cara, is it true that the science programs in the schools here rock?"

Cara stared back at Kanti, clearly trying to figure out what to make of the weird-looking girl wearing a Ludicrous T-shirt. Cyrus's mother gave her a nudge, and Cara sighed dramatically before replying, "We're studying life science right now. It's kind of cool."