Late night swims

"Now why are you freakin out boy? He just asked to go on a swim with ya." Wayne grumbles out behind his newspaper "Just go get your damn shorts on." I can feel him rolling his eyes at me.

"You don't get it old man! Why would he ask me of all people? Like sure we've gotten closer but that doesn't mean just hanging out alone!" Pacing the living room all I feel is anxiety coursing through my veins. "Okay so we're just going for a swim, no big deal."

"Now you know, damn good and well, he just wants to get to know ya better. Now quit that pacin you'll leave holes in the floor." Of course Wayne would say something like that. "He'll be here soon, so ya better get a move on." As soon as those words left his mouth there was a knock at the door. Of course there was a knock at the door.

"Fuck! Please distract him while I get ready!" Wayne sends me a disgruntled look, "please Wayne!" He just gruffs at me, and goes to the door. I rush to my room to grab my swim trunks... Or well shorts I swim in rather.

"Oh, hi Wayne! How are you doing?" He's just so nice! Of course Stevie's nice, he's usually nice, then he's bitchy... Which is also very endearing in itself.

"Not too bad, so you and my boy are goin for a swim?" Oh no, no no no no.

"Yup! I haven't been able to hang out with him one on one yet. I really wanna get to know him better." I could feel my face heat up instantly, he wants to know me? Like actually know me?

"Well, if he'd ever hurry the hell up!" His voice gradually filled the whole trailer.

"Yeah, yeah! I'm comin old man, just hold yer horses!" I shout back grabbing my shorts. Walking out, Steve's just smiling and quietly chatting with Wayne about some.. sportsball thing. "You ready Steve, or are ya just gonna stand there chatting with Wayne?"

"Well, if you woulda been ready on time, we'd be on our way or there by now." He rolls his eyes at me. He's just so cute!

"Yeah, yeah, let's go already! I wanna swim!"

"Okay, see you later Wayne! Oh! If you need anything let me know! Common Eds." He waves to Wayne and walks out the door.

"If you don't marry 'im I'll legally adopt him so you can't." I wip my head around to my uncle, absolutely flabbergasted he would even suggest such a thing. If my face was the color of Steve's tiny little shorts, and yes their red, that's no one's problem but mine.

"Shut it, I gotta go. Love ya oldie!" I run out the door before hearing him respond but I know he said it back. Turning around Stevie's already in the car.  I trotted over, opening the  passenger door and slide in. "Sorry Stevie, I got distracted."

"Don't worry about it, are you ready to go?" I nodded my head and he started to back out of the drive, and starts right out of the trailer park.

"Soooo what mad ya wanna swim?" I ask not wanting to just sit in silence.

"Well, Ellie asked me to teach her how to swim and I wanted to brush up on my skills." He smiles, eyes still on the road.

"Your teaching her how to swim in the lake?"

"I'm not going in that pool Eddie." I could see his hands tightening on the wheel. "No one's going in that pool alone again."

"No one said you'd have to do it alone Stevie. How about this." He still won't even glance at me. "Hey, look at me sweetheart." Finally he looked at me, he honestly look scared. "How about we change the course of this adventure?" I wiggle my eyebrows at him and he finally smiles a little. "There he is, now, why don't I text the boys, we head to your house, and we can all be there when you go in." He's quiet for a bit then takes a left instead of going straight.