Chapter 8

Hunter suddenly began to complain about stomach aches more and more, even frequently throwing up and missing meals because of it. With growing concern for his health, Evelyn took him straight to the doctors upon realising that this wasn't just a one or even two time thing. She wondered if there was actually an underlying health problem here, maybe one that could account for his change in behaviour over the past month or so. However, the doctor's best guess was that he was faking it to get out of school.

Evelyn took her son straight home after that.

On the topic of school, it didn't take them very long to also begin noticing something was wrong. Only a few weeks into the new school year, Evelyn received a phone call inviting herself and Caleb to attend a meeting at the school to talk about their concerns for Hunter.

Overall, his teacher seemed like a very positive, friendly woman, even if that happened to be dampened slightly by the subject matter of their conversation.

"I just wanted to bring you in to discuss some concerns I have about your son." She began, Caleb and Evelyn both nodding along, internally bracing themselves for the difficult conversation. "He's not in any sort of trouble, Hunter is actually a lovely kid to teach, very bright for his age. However, recently, I've noticed a distinct change in his behaviour. Have either of you noticed anything like this at home?"

"Yeah, we have," Caleb replied. "He's been more anxious lately, more clingy, and he's been getting sick a lot more frequently than he ever had before. Weird changes like that."

"Well, in the classroom I've noticed he's been a lot less social. Before the summer, he seemed a little shy but he never outright avoided the other kids like I've seen him doing now. The only person who can really get anything out of him has been Luz but that's not much of a surprise. That girl could start up a conversation with a brick wall if she really wanted to, let's be honest."

That sounded about right.

"Though, on a more concerning note," She continued, "A few times now I've caught him scratching at his arms. Scratching to the point of drawing blood. Now, I'm not sure if he's entirely aware he's doing it, it seems almost subconscious, but even still, it looks pretty painful."

Evelyn felt guilt churn in her stomach. There's no way he'd only been doing something like that exclusively at school. How hadn't she noticed it? Had she herself only acknowledged it subconsciously? She made a promise to herself and Hunter to start paying some more attention.

"There's also been a change in his work too. I, myself, am aware that he's a very smart kid, he probably has the highest reading age in the entire class, and by a long shot too, so I know what he's capable of. But for some strange reason, he's been falling behind on the work this year."

"Really?" Caleb frowned, disbelief in his tone, "He reads so much at home and he's always telling us just how much he loves school!"

"That's why I'm concerned, I know that under normal circumstances, he'd be excelling. But right now, it seems like something is keeping him distracted." The teacher explained, "He seems to be zoning out, quite frequently too, and often that prevents him from getting the work done. I don't believe he's purposely doing this, like you say, he loved school, but it's a worrying sign that there may be something wrong. Is there perhaps anything going on at home that could account for this? Moving house? A family member passing?"

Both parents wracked their brains for anything but just as they'd found ever since this had begun, they came back with nothing, exchanging a look before shaking their heads.

"No, there's nothing I can think of at least." Evelyn replied, "We've noticed him acting off for a while now but we still don't have a clue as to why. We've tried asking him countless times before but we just can't get anything out of him. For now, we've just been trying to do our best to adjust to his change in behaviour and offering comfort and support where we can. It's the only thing we can really think to do."