I - escape

I am the girl cloaked in the sun with the moon at my feet. I am the girl cloaked in the sun with the moon at my feet. I am the girl cloaked in the sun with the moon at my feet. I am the-

My mantra is harshly interrupted by the nasal voice of that insipid doctor whose name I'd never bothered to learn. I'd been repeating that phrase in my head since what I've grown to consider my "fall from grace." Ironically, my dead mother's ramblings are the one thing that keep me from losing the insatiable bit of sanity that I barely cling on to.

I have been here at Saint Mary's for 178 days and 177 nights. I have not seen my family, nor the sun, nor heard the birds sing nor smell coffee nor felt the fresh air against my skin. After all this time, a part of me wonders if the outside world ever existed at all, or if I've always been here. Existing. Waiting. But never once daring to hope that I'd make it out.

"Patient 24601. Are you ready to take your medicine or will we have to give you a shot?" I could swear that the woman is smirking behind her mask. She takes more joy then she should at administering antipsychotics intravenously. She is the true anomaly. The true monster.

"I am YN LN and I am the girl cloaked in the sun with the moon at my feet. I have watched these walls bleed since my fall from grace, and you, Doctor, will someday drown in it."

"Very well, 24601. Nurse Solano, if you would be so good..." The sadistic doctor holds out her hand, and the white clad nurse walked over, heels clicking on the linoleum tile. A shining silver syringe emerges from the nurse's pocket and is placed into the Doctor's waiting hand. "Hold her." The foul woman instructs.

I make no move to fight the nurse. Not yet, at least.

Solano moves towards me with the caution of approaching a wild animal. When she is two paces away from me, I act.

Using the padded walls as leverage, I push off and leap into the air, landing a kick to the nurse's stomach. She grunts and doubles over, and I use this moment of distraction to snatch the sedative from her, and stab it into her neck and push the plunger, effectively disabling Solano.

The doctor is shocked. The doctor never thought I would do anything but run my mouth. I snatch a scalpel from the unconscious nurse's satchel and march toward the doctor. One pace. Two. Three. 

And then the walls aren't the only ones bleeding. 

I don't have much time. It'll be a matter of minutes before the other nurses realize Solano isn't answering her pager, and security will come running.

I fly down the hallway, scanning my surroundings. I veer left, leaving bloodied footprints on the ground. Careening through serval empty wards; dodging security personnel, too immersed in their phones to notice the psychotic murderer fleeing their confinement.

Using the keycard that I stole from Solano, I scan it and with a click, the door opens and I am free.