5.3

"this is a sphere detector,"

"is it a prototype?,"

"what is that?,"

"something that hasn't fully developed yet,"

ji-wan widened her eyes and looked to her left at na-ra. "we're going to entrust our lives with a prototype," she asked, furrowing her eyebrows. "i'm sure it'll be fine," smiled na-ra, comfortingly. "the radius on this is 1 km in open areas. in the city of villages, it'll only be 500 to 700 m. so, always be alert," said lt.lee before him and the sergeant went off somewhere by themselves. joon-hee tapped yoo-jung and the group circled around the girl. yoo-jung turned both of the screens on, making everyone 'ooo'. "the people high up aren't just sitting back and watching," bo-ra said, satisfied. "you're right. why didn't they give this go us earlier?," scoffed ha-na. ji-wan looked at the two best friends who smiled at each other. 'they could totally be a couple in secret and i wouldn't even know,' ji-wan thought bitterly.

bo-ra looked over at ji-wan, making eye-contact. ji-wan quickly looked away to tae-man who was asking why the device wasn't detecting anything. bo-ra was left confused as she found ji-wan's behaviour a bit odd. she was in a different group but thankfully they wouldn't be separated for too long. "divide into your squads and get in the vehicles," said lt.lee. ji-wan was about to run off to the left truck but someone held her back. ji-wan turned around to see bo-ra, "be careful," said bo-ra. ji-wan looked back at her truck to see that everyone was still trying to get in, "yeah. you too," she said before walking away. bo-ra stood there, dumbfounded as she watched na-ra help ji-wan up onto the truck. bo-ra stood there, watching them in confusion before yoo-jung called out for her.

the scenery quickly changed from an empty long road to empty grassland to a ruined city very quickly. the truck stopped but they weren't there just yet so it confused ji-wan. they were told that they would have to walk the rest of the way so everyone started getting down, one by one. ji-wan was about to hop out the truck but na-ra put her hand out. ji-wan smiled widely before holding her hand and getting out slowly. ji-wan and na-ra were walking side by side down the slope.

the two were making small talk and from a bit ways back, bo-ra was glaring a hole at the back of na-ra's head. the two groups split up, going seperate ways for just a bit. as ji-wan was walking down, she felt na-ra's shoulder rubbing against hers. a small smirk appeared on her face as she turned to face na-ra. "why are you so close? are you scared?," asked ji-wan, giggling at the thought. na-ra raised an eyebrow, "nope. i just want to keep you close in case there are any spheres around," she said. ji-wan smirked, "lee na-ra, you don't have a crush on me, do you?," smirked ji-wan, making na-ra's cheeks turn a light shade of pink.

before na-ra could reply, hee-rak shouted in excitement and ran towards a vending machine. ji-wan jumped a bit, unknowingly moving closed to na-ra. "does it working?," asked ji-wan, quickly rushing next to hee-rak. "yah, help me shake it," said hee-rak. ji-wan nodded before the two started shaking the vending machine which was quite noisy. "woo hee-rak, jang ji-wan," said lt.lee, appearing out of nowhere. the two widened their eyes and stood in front of the machine, pretending to act normal. "what are you doing," the man asked. "nothing, sir!," hee-rak said quickly. ji-wan just stood there, looking at lt.lee with wide eyes. "lieutenant," said sergeant won-bin. the man looked back at the two before following him.

once lt.lee left, hee-rak banged his hand on the vending machine. a can of coke fell and hee-rak bent over to grab it. "holy shit!," cursed hee-rak, holding up the can. ji-wan cheered, grabbing it out from hee-rak's hands. joon-hee and so-yoon rushed forwards, asking for a sip. "i'm going to save it so get away from me," hee-rak said, snatching the can out of ji-wan's hands. "how is it yours?," asked ji-wan, snatching the can back. "because i got it out, duh?," said hee-rak, snatching the can back again. "i shook the vending machine too, asshole," she spat, snatching the can back once again. "yeah but it hit it. just go away," hee-rak said, putting it in his pocket. "give it back, selfish jerk," ji-wan said, reaching into hee-rak's pocket.