Healing Ashes

Warnings: Mention of childhood trauma, PTSD symptoms

The moon hung high in the midnight sky as Ash Williams trudged through the darkness. He had become accustomed to battling the undead and saving the world from evil forces, but tonight was different. He had stumbled upon a part of his companion's past that he had never anticipated.

As Ash returned to the cabin, his eyes fell upon you, sitting on the worn-out couch with a haunted expression. A glimmer of sadness in your eyes caught his attention, and he approached you cautiously. Sitting down beside you, he placed a comforting hand on your shoulder.

"You okay, kid?" he asked gently.

You glanced at him, your eyes reflecting the storm of emotions within. "I... I'm not sure, Ash. Something's been bothering me lately, memories from my childhood. They haunt me, tormenting my mind day and night."

Ash listened intently, his rugged face showing concern. "Tell me about it. What's been bothering you?"

You hesitated, your voice quivering with vulnerability. "When I was young, I experienced a traumatic event. It's like a dark cloud looming over me. The memories... they feel so real as if I'm reliving them. And the worst part is, it's left me with this constant fear like I'm being chased by something I can't see."

Ash's gaze softened, his hand tightening its grip on your shoulder. "PTSD, huh? It's a tough battle, but you're not alone in this, you know. I've faced my fair share of demons, both literal and figurative. And let me tell you, you can beat 'em. But first, we gotta face 'em head-on."

A tear trickled down your cheek, and Ash wiped it away with his thumb. "You're a survivor, just like me. We're gonna fight this together. No more running and hiding."

As he spoke, his words seemed to pierce through the darkness in your mind, offering a glimmer of hope. You took a deep breath, gathering your courage to open up about your nightmares. Ash patiently listened, his presence like an anchor in the storm.

Once you had finished pouring out your heart, Ash leaned back and let out a low whistle. "Kid, that's some heavy stuff. But listen to me, the past may shape us, but it doesn't define us. You're stronger than you realize."

You gave a weak smile, grateful for his support. "Thank you, Ash. Your words mean more to me than you can imagine."

"No need for thanks," he said, his voice firm yet gentle. "We're in this together, remember?"

With a determined glint in his eye, Ash stood up and reached out his hand. "Come on, let's do something about those nightmares of yours."

Curiosity mixed with hope, you took his hand, letting him lead you toward the kitchen. As you approached the counter, Ash rummaged through the cabinets until he found a small container of salt. He poured a circle of salt on the table, a protective barrier against unseen threats.

"Salt? What's that for?" you asked, intrigued.

Ash smirked, a mischievous glimmer in his eye. "It's a little trick I learned during my time-fighting demons. Salt wards off evil spirits. Helps keep 'em away."

You watched as he lit a candle, its soft glow casting a warm light on the room. Ash sat across from you, his eyes locked onto yours, full of unwavering determination.

"Okay, kid, here's what we're gonna do," he began. "Whenever those nightmares come knocking, you focus on this candle. Its light represents the warmth and safety we can find even in the darkest times. Take a deep breath, let it fill your lungs, and exhale all that fear and doubt."

Together, you practiced the breathing exercises, the candle's flickering flame guiding your rhythm. With each breath, the grip of your nightmares seemed to loosen, replaced by a newfound sense of calm.

Ash leaned forward, his voice a comforting whisper. "Remember, you're a fighter. You've survived the worst, and now it's time to heal. Take it one step at a time, and never forget that you're not alone. I'm here for you, no matter what."

Tears welled up in your eyes once more, but this time they were tears of gratitude and relief. As you looked at the man sitting across from you, you realized that together, you could conquer the darkness.

With Ash by your side, the nightmares would no longer define you. In his presence, you found the strength to face your fears head-on and begin the journey toward healing.

And as the candle's light danced before you, you knew that even amidst the ashes, something beautiful could grow.