19. Heartless

The bitter aftermath of Julian's week-long excursion had left a lingering bitterness in her mind, prompting her to go to extreme measures like pushing his personal credit cards to the limit.

However, her attempts were futile, as he was the rightful owner of money itself and it seemed impossible to make even the slightest dent in his personal funds. Undeterred, she embarked on a relentless spending spree, determined to catch his attention eventually.

After indulging in a relentless day of shopping, she finally decided to focus on self-care.

Her first destination was a tranquil haven for a soothing full-body massage.

Relishing in the blissful escape from reality, she surrendered herself to the skilled hands of the masseuse, who diligently worked on kneading away the knots and tension in her burdened neck. As she lay on the massage table, a sense of solace washed over her, temporarily easing the weight of her troubled thoughts.

She tried not to think about his awful version of an apology, thinking back to earlier on that morning where he thought it would be wise to  redecorate the first floor with roses and her favourite composer.

It was a cop-out, a half-arsed apology and she deserved better. At least, that was what she believed.

The soft music playing in the background, combined with the gentle scent of lavender filling the air, created a serene atmosphere that allowed her mind to momentarily drift away from the chaos she had created.

Each stroke of the masseuse's hands felt like a healing touch, erasing the stress and worry that had been plaguing her.

As the minutes turned into an hour, Julian's presence slowly faded from her mind.

The focus shifted from trying to gain his attention through material possessions to realizing the importance of taking care of herself. She had been so consumed by her desire for his validation that she had neglected her own well-being.

Even if it was with his credit cards, she was enjoying pampering herself.

However, just like all the other wonderful moments in her life, her fleeting serenity quickly dissipated.

Why?

Because the moment she closed her eyes, preparing to drift into a peaceful slumber, her tormentor resurfaced.

This time, it was his unbearable presence that invaded the peaceful room.

"Out," is all she said, not bothering to lift her head.

Keenan's heavy footsteps echoed loudly, irritatingly, much like the man himself. "What were you thinking, attending Gaia's show? Are you so desperate for my validation that you have to stoop this low?"

Her eyes caught a glimpse of his shadow looming over her, followed by the sight of his feet. He stood at the head of the bed, seemingly unaffected by the fact that she was exposed, with only a small towel draped precariously over her ample behind.

"You mean that I attended a show and she happened to be walking it?" Jana echoed, calmly. "If you're looking to blame me for your little girlfriend's departure from her agency and however many brands have decided it's time to cut ties with her, then you can go and fuck your self."

"You're deranged." He spat roughly, looking at the way the masseuse worked her nimble fingers into her bare oil-coated back.

"No, I did you a favour and exposed the bitch for who she really was."

His scoff was full of disbelief. "There's nothing to expose. It's a wonder how suddenly things that she supposedly said have come to light. It's almost like you planted them all."