CHAPTER TWELVE

P A S T

D A Y 6

CAMILA

"The sun, it burns," I joked, hiding behind her back when we got outside.

"I know, just push through it, persevere," she chuckled.

Taking my hand, we walked down my street and into the town. I enjoyed the sight of all the leaves falling from the trees above us. The reds, golds, and oranges, they all made the world so much more beautiful in my eyes.

"What are you smiling about?" she asked.

I pinched my cheeks, not realizing the face I was making. "I love fall. It's my favorite season. You have to give it to Mother Nature, even when she's technically dying, she's doing it like a true lady and going out with style."

"I would have pegged you as more of a spring girl."

"You've pegged me? Have you been thinking about me, Ms. Jauregui?" I teased her with a laugh.

She rolled his eyes, and placed her arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to her— "Don't ask questions you already know the answer to. How can I not be thinking of you?"

I wanted to kiss her.

"Why spring?" I asked, curious as to her assumption.

The truth of the matter was that I needed to stay focused, or else we'd end up right back at my house, or worse yet, doing it somewhere in public. That thought alone caused a momentary throbbing sensation in all the right places.

Why did that excite me? What is she doing to me?

"Because it's the season that's full of life. It's bright and preppy."

"Preppy? And you were doing so well!"

Preppy?

"What's your favorite season?" I asked, as I decided to let the preppy comment slide.

"Winter," she said, "I love the snow, and the way it just blankets everything. It's beautiful, especially at the crack of dawn, when the world is still asleep, and the sun starts to come up."

It did sound beautiful.

"Sadly, it's only a temporary state. Before you know it, we silly humans go and muck it all up."

"Yes, all that blasted shoveling. Or would you rather everyone just stay inside all winter?"

"That would be glorious," she said with a smile. "Spend the fall stocking up on food, and just hibernate for the winter," she half-joked. "Imagine how much fun we could have!"

"As genius as your plan is, imagine how many people would snap if they were locked away with their families for four mouths."

"Even better! I would make a killin' in the spring."

I laughed. "You're a horrible person."

"Yeah, yeah. But I can still dream. Can't I?"

There was something about Lauren I just liked. It was so easy to be around her. We didn't say much after that, until we got into town and I saw the long line coming out of the Young Thailand restaurant. It snaked around the freaking corner of the block! Apparently, their dinner was worth waiting for.

"Yeah why don't we just—" I began, but she ignored me and led me to the front of the line.

"Reservation for Jauregui," she said as we got inside.

"Good evening," the hostess bowed at us.

She picked up two menus from the stack nearby, and beckoned us to follow her. She led us to a table at the storefront window.

"Reservation?" I asked, as Waitress seated us and left. "Did you just trick me into going on a date with you?"

"How else am I ever going to ever get you to stop eating frosted flakes?"

"What's wrong Frosty?" I pouted.

"It's sugar and fake corn, need I say more?"

"You're no better, with your granola bars!" I accused her.

"Not the same," she retorted, as she slid the basket of unleavened bread towards me.

"I'd eat more, but someone never gives me a break long enough to sit down and eat a full meal," I shot back, as I broke off a piece of the bread and nibbled on the end.

"Oh, that's a two way street baby, and you know it."

I knew that she was right, I just couldn't bring myself to admit it. Instead, I picked up my menu and pretended to be completely captivated by a list of food that I had never seen, had, or heard of, in my life.

She remained silent, letting the issue go, and the next time I glanced up, I saw that she was staring out the window, watching as the autumn leaves fluttered in the wind. As I looked at her, I realize just how attracted to her I was, and not just in a sexual way either. Sex had started our time together, but lately, it felt more personal than that. (girl you are fucked)

Lost in my thoughts, I almost didn't notice that she had turned her attention back to me. I looked away, blushing because I knew that I hadn't been quick enough, and she had caught me ogling her. Knowing her, she probably assumed that I was having erotic fantasies about her.

Luckily, before she could say anything, a server came to take our order.

"What would you like to have?" Lauren asked.

Crap. I hadn't really read the menu.

"Ah... the Larb Leuat Neua?" I said, picking the first thing that caught my eye. (search it up)

Her eye went wide, and she chuckled before she placed his own order.

"Are you sure?" she asked me.

I wasn't, but I nodded anyway. I had already committed, it was too late to back down without looking like a complete idiot. With a smile, she nodded at the server who collected the menus and left.

"Seriously?" she asked again, this time with a slight frown.

"What?"

"You hate raw food, right?" she asked, knowing full well that I did, after she'd unsuccessfully tried to get me to eat sushi. (is there anyone who remember about camren and sushi)

"Yeah..."

"Larb Leuat Neua is basically a raw meat salad with mint leaves." 

I opened my mouth, but no words came out.

People could sell that?

"If that's not what you really wanted, I can call the—"

"Nope, I'm good," I interrupted. (oh camila help me to help you baby girl)

Note to self: when on dates, read the damn menu.

"Can we just pretend that that didn't just happen?" I begged, shifting in my seat.

I was always embarrassed when it came to her. It was as though my brain just went on hibernate, and I was left to fend for myself.

"What's your favorite color?" she asked.

"What?"

"I'm pretending that didn't just happen. What's your favorite color?"

"Emerald."

"Emerald?"

"I've always had trouble picking between blue and green; then one day I saw emerald, and all was right with the world," I laughed.

Emerald was my happy color.

She nodded, then looked at me as though she was waiting for something. Finally she gave up.

"This is the part where you ask me what my favorite color is, Camila," she said, rolling her eyes.

"Is it? This is a slippery slope we're on, you know. First it's colors, and the next I'm telling you my deepest, darkest secrets."

"Are you scared, Ms. Cabello?"

"I'm not, but you're just not ready for it yet, Ms. Jauregui."

"Anything you bring to the table, I can take. But hey, if you're scared of—"

"What's your favorite color Lauren?" I asked finally giving in.

She smirked, "I don't have one."

"Then what was..." I stopped, she did this all the time. "You really just like rattling me, don't you?"

"In every sense of the word," she said, behind the glass of water, and I shifted under her gaze.

She reached across the table, took my hand and rubbed the inside of my palm with her thumb. Though it was a small action, I felt myself melting into her. After six days, just doing this was enough.

We leaned back into our seats and relaxed, enjoying each other's company. When the server brought our food to the table, she didn't let go of my left hand. I tried to ignore her, but it bothered me how at ease she was. My pulse was racing, and she didn't seem to be bothered by it in the least.

Slipping out of my flats, I pressed my right foot between her legs, smiling innocently when she jumped.