Grief

Dear familia,

I don't know where to begin. I feel so lost. All I ever wanted to do was to help, to make you all proud. But it appears that I was the problem all along. I don't know what I did wrong, but I am sorry.

I am sorry for everything. I'm sorry for always causing a mess, I am sorry for being such a burden, I couldn't be perfect, I am sorry I couldn't be a good daughter, granddaughter, hermana and prima. I wanted to give myself a chance to make everyone proud, but it never worked. No matter what I did, nothing worked. Nobody noticed me, It was almost like I was a ghost.

But now you don't have to worry about me anymore. I have decided to release you all of this burden.

Mami, Papa, please don't blame yourself. It is not your fault. I know you both love me very much. But, I just can't stay around anymore and hurt this family. I love you all too much to let myself do that.

Please watch over Antonio. I know he will be hurt when he finds out about this. He's a very sweet boy and I've grown to be very fond of him. But he won't need me anymore. He got you guys.

I hope I don’t wake up. I’m afraid of the chance that I will wake up again. I don't want to wake up to another day of clear skies. I'm scared to wake up to see all of your faces surrounding me. I don't want to regret my actions. I don't want to wake back up. I'm afraid to see what my actions would do and how it affected you. 

— Mirabel

It has been a couple days since that morning. Since the day they found out about that. Since the day they lost Mirabel forever. The Madrigals were devastated by the discovery, and were grieving.

Julieta

Julieta was a mess. The loss of her daughter had taken a toll on her. She was curled up in her bed as she cried her eyes out.

It was a cruel irony, that even with the possession of her enchanted talent, she wouldn’t have been able to fix what truly mattered. After all, what could possibly heal a broken heart?

The grief she was feeling at this moment was really similar to what she felt when Bruno left, but much stronger.

In the case of Bruno, there was still hope that he might be alive and well out there somewhere. There was hope that he would be found, that she would see her hermanito again someday.

But Mirabel won't be back ever again. She was gone. Truly gone. She was never coming back.

She could never hold her daughter in her arms again. She could never see her daughter smile. She could never see her daughter grow up. All because of that stupid candle.

So much has gone horribly wrong.

There had been signs, maybe not as obvious, but they were there nevertheless. And to make matters worse, it all seemed to relate to her littlest girl, who had somehow been caught in the middle of this unfair situation.

But despite that, ironically, the one who still managed to shine amongst everything was Mirabel. The child had forced herself to smile, clearly trying to maintain the illusion that everything was fine, that she was fine, the smile on her face never wavered as she did so.

What a brave girl she was. Her child was just too good for this world. But not even the strongest of people could keep up such an act for so long.

The people didn’t want to see or remember the good Mirabel had done. Mirabel worked twice as hard as anyone in this family to prove her worth to everyone. She was a living example of how getting a gift wasn’t necessary to help others. She was perfectly capable of doing good like the rest of them without needing a magical ability.