chapter xxxxv

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮

ANASTASIA WOKE UP to the brightness of the winter sunlight streaming in through her second story bedroom. The snow on the ground made the star seem like it was shining brighter than usual, but that's what she loved about winter. Christmas had come and gone, too quickly for her liking, but she was never one to dwell on the past. Not for long, that is. Her eyes fluttered open, her pupils still sensitive and filled with sleep, before they finally adjusted to the light that glowed. The softness of her bed, and the way her sheets laid on her bare legs just right made her want nothing more than to fall back into the unconscious state of a deep sleep, but she knew that if she did, she wouldn't be too happy with herself throughout the day. The sound of bird chirping outside her window made her feel at home, and made her suddenly aware at how much she missed waking up in her childhood bed. Her vinyl player emitted scratchiness, the needle now running over nothing, given that she fell asleep listening to the smooth sounds of Norah Jones', the exact album her mother would put on to lull her to sleep when she was of the young age of five.

After she used the bathroom and brushed her teeth, she made her way down the stairs, the pads of her feet shooting pins and needles through her nerves due to the lack of use throughout the night. She wasn't surprised when she saw Mark and Lola cuddled on her living room couch, Phineas and Ferb playing on the television, they're parents must be out shopping for their party. Anastasia scoffed, "Why are you in my house, drinking my coffee, taking up my space?"

She could practically picture what was going on behind her: Lola now turned around, looking over the back of the couch with a small furrow in between her eyebrows, "Be honest, are you really that shocked to see us?" Mark chuckled at her words, "Good morning to you too, sunshine!" he exclaimed over his shoulder, before turning his attention back to the television. Anastasia grasped the mug in her hands, taking a long sip of the caffinated beverage, glaring at the back of Mark's head playfully, all while ignoring the loving smile that Lola was giving her. "If you talk any louder you won't only wake up my parents, but you'll wake up the great state of Michigan," she retorted, making her way to sit beside Mark on the couch.

He blew air past his lips, "Our parents went to the store to grab decorations for tonight," he stated, throwing his arm around Anastasia's shoulders, pulling her into his side like Lola was. "They dropped us off and then dipped." he finished, before grabbing the blanket that was folded over the arm of the couch, and placing it over Stassie's bare legs. She hummed in acknowledgement, leaning her body into the warmth that Mark provided, "I'm surprised they left this early in the morning," she mumbled, before taking another long sip of her coffee. "I was too, that's why I'm literally in my pajamas right now." Lola quipped up, her hand mindlessly stretched out across Mark's torso, her palm up towards the ceiling. Anastasia couldn't help but smile at the gesture, shifting her mug that was now half full of the hot liquid so that she could grasp Lola's palm. Their interlinked hands rose and fell with each breath Mark took– slow and controlled.

It was just like how the three were during their years in high school. After a long day at school, with him having to most likely miss is first period so he could go to her house to make sure Stassie was awake, which most of the time she was not, they would just go to one of their houses, and bask in each other's embrace, as a show from their childhood played on the television, lulling them back into the time when they could be careless with their actions. Just Mark and his girls. One of them being his lover, that he had waited so long to call her the name, and the other being like his sister, who he often times found himself finding comfort in her soothing voice, and the same goes for her.