35: 𝔣𝔞𝔯𝔢𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔩 𝔣𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔥 𝔶𝔢𝔞𝔯

"Heya, Brigitte!"

Brigitte snaps her head up, looking at James expectantly. He grinning at her, glasses crooked. She doesn't even have time to protest before he's swept her trunk out of her hands, murmuring something about chivalry. Brigitte claims his owl, which coos raucously at the sight of her own owl, preening its feathers regally in it's ornate cage.

From a distance, they can both hear the Hogwarts Express announcing it's arrival.

Brigitte smiles inwardly. James is such a lovely sight, his traveling cloak slung across his shoulder, a bulky Hogwarts trunk clutched in each arm. Brigitte absentmindedly reaches up to straighten his glasses for him, making his smile yet again.

An odd change had happened in the last week of school. Brigitte was unsure of the details, but according to Peter, Remus and Sirius had entered their dormitory together the night after OWLs had been completed. Both boys had wet cheeks. They didn't speak, just gave a dumbstruck James a tight nod. 

Peter swears he heard James sobbing uncontrollably under his blankets, but James denies it vehemently. Brigitte secretly believes Peter.

The next morning, Sirius sat with the rest of the Marauders just as he'd always done. Remus and Sirius didn't speak, but all four of them were together again. 

Brigitte suspects that James hasn't stopped smiling since.

"Sit with us, will you?" He asks sprightly, effortlessly hoisting their trunks onto the train. "The girls will have to make do without you for a change."

Brigitte stares wistfully at where Lily, Marlene, Mary and Dorcas are exchanging goodbye hugs. James chuckles when he sees this, jerking his head towards them as if to say, go.

Brigitte doesn't waste any time, running towards Lily with her arms extended. They two girls embrace tightly, nearly barreling into Remus, who gives them an amused smile. Lily presses a soft kiss against Brigitte's cheek.

"You'll write to me. Won't you, my love?" She asks, tucking a strand of Brigitte's blonde hair behind her ear. "I want to hear from you at least every day. Any less and I'll come find you myself."

"I promise," Brigitte murmurs quietly. She leans in towards Lily's ear, as if she's about to tell her an intimate secret. "Thank you for being my friend."

Lily only smiles, holding her gently by the wrists. "Any time, my love. Sorry I was such a bitch to you in the beginning. Oh, I feel so horrible just thinking about it!"

Brigitte laughs, then leans forward to accept a kiss from Marlene.

James is still waiting for her by the time she's been hugged, kissed, and promised to write to by all of her girls. He looks at her.

"Ready?" He asks.

She nods, and they step on the train.

There's already a compartment saved for them by the other Marauders, which they find easily. 

"Took you long enough," Sirius says, leaning lazily against the window. It's as though Remus's acceptance of him has transformed him instantly into the boy he was before. Other than the obvious groveling, that is.

Even his looming fate in the Black Household couldn't take away his thrill.

James only grins, offering Brigitte the seat by the door. When she takes it, he immediately plops down on the floor at her feet, crossing his legs in front of him. She doesn't notice the knowing glances the other three Marauders give each other.

"What are you doing?" She asks, perplexed. 

"It's a four person compartment, Brigitte," James says with a smile. "Go on, hand me our owls, I'll stow them under your seat."