one

E V E L Y N N

I just admired everything about him. I sat and studied his features. His laugh lines, the little wrinkles above his forehead when he smiled, everything.

"What are you looking at, babe?" Paul laughed. He glanced at me then continued his long gaze at the road ahead.

"Just you, handsome." I replied, leaning over and kissing his cheek. I look at him again and notice those familiar white teeth.

"My parents are going to love you, Eve, I promise." He said, putting his arm on my knee.

Tonight we were driving about 30 minutes from our campus to visit his parents. We had been dating for 6 months and decided it was time to officialize us and meet one set of parents for approval.

I tensed up, meeting my boyfriend's parents always scared me. What if they didn't approve? What if I wasn't good enough for him and the parents seemed to notice? What if I somehow got food poisoning and threw up all over the kitchen floor?

These were the things I always thought about. I could feel a pit in the back of my throat stretching all the way to my stomach. I gulped and Paul seemed to notice.

"Don't worry! If I can tolerate you, they can too." He laughed.

I slapped his arm playfully. Even with his adorable yet corny jokes nothing could shake my nerves. I looked out the window and gazed at the light of the stars, and the moon shining down on his 2005 Jeep Cherokee.

Everything was so beautiful and calm, not too many cars on the road but just enough lights on the edge of the street to light our path.

I was so engulfed in the stars and bright lights I hadn't noticed the bright light in front of us until it was too late.

Everything played in slow motion. I remember yelling for Paul and Paul yelling back at me. We held eachother's hands for dear life. And then, the car began to tip.

All I remember thinking was, "What will his parents think of me now?"

Stupid, right? Out of anything I could have thought of before I thought I was going to die I thought what would my boyfriend's parents think of me? Strange.

The car was flipping, I just remember feeling dizzy, like the world was spinning. But the world wasn't spinning, we were just tumbling in the street, praying, hoping that we would get out of that car alive.

When the car finally stopped I was feeling so many emotions at once. When I finally mustered enough energy to open my eyes I looked at Paul. I screamed. Paul had a shard of glass in his chest.

I began crying even harder, he can not die. He can't die on me, not here, not now. We were just going to see his parents, and now they would blame me for their sons death.

After being in the car for what seemed like hours I could hear voices surrounding us. I looked at Paul, still unconscious. I wanted to scream for help but it only came out as a whisper.

A voice came from behind me, "Hang in there, Miss, ambulance is on the way."

I looked at Paul. My tears were flowing down my face so fast, my heart was pounding, adrenaline flowing. I hadn't felt any of my scars. I could only feel sorrow. And I just kept wondering, if I hadn't brought up the thought of us meeting eachother's parents Paul would be ok, he would be ok. We would be ok.

I felt weak, I closed my eyes, wanting this nightmare to end. Wanting to wake up in bed and restart the day, maybe leave earlier, or later. To avoid this. But no matter how many times I shut my eyes reality was here and now. So for the final time I shut my eyes, and fell asleep.

Author's Note

Ok I know the pace is already so fast but I'm going to go back early into Paul and Evelynn's relationship. I hope you guys are enjoying so far, but yes this is the beginning but I will go back and forth from reality to when they were early in the relationship. Also this chapter is quite short and I'm hoping the others will be longer!

Please vote + comment! Tell me your opinions!