two

E V E L Y N N

Sirens. A sound all too familiar to me, and a sound that had been ringing in my ears for the past five minutes. I tried to sleep, thinking that maybe this was a dream and by sleeping that all this pain might just go away. But with these loud sirens, that wasn't happening anytime soon.

The car screeched to a stop and immediately gloved hands were all over the blanket that was covering me. I tried to open my eyes, but with too much effort and no results, I quit and decided to keep them shut.

They rolled me into the building and rushed me into a room. After finally opening my eyes I saw one little head appear into my vision.

"Hi, my name is Dr. Vespuez, and I'm here to take care of you. Can you tell me your name?"

My voice was cracking at all different pitches, "Evelynn Larke."

"Ok, well Evelynn, we're going to take real good care of you."

"What about Pa-," I was cut off by an object coming closer to my mouth.

"Now, I'm going to need you to count backwards from 10, ok?"

"10... 9... 8... 7..," And with that, I don't remember much.

I woke up later to find out what had happened, I had fractured my ribs and my heart had damage to the tissue, but it was repared during surgery. I had also been told that Paul was alive but they wouldn't tell me the state of his condition.

They did, however, say that I could be wheeled into his room later by a nurse if I wished. I waited almost two hours before a nurse came in and wheeled me down the hall to visit Paul.

We peered the corner and I looked into his room to find him awake. He looked at me, and then looked back. Almost as if he was mad at me?

"Excuse me," I said to the nurse, "Could you maybe leave us alone?" She nodded understandingly and left the room.

"Hey," I said, I didn't know what to say to him? I mean, what was I supposed to say? But yet he was still quiet. I couldn't help but ask, "Are you mad at me or something?"

"How am I supposed to answer that?" He replies, harshly.

"I don't know maybe, 'No, Eve, I'm not mad at you, how did your surgery go,' I mean seriously what did I do?"

"I don't know, Eve, it was your idea to have us 'officialize' or whatever and meet our parents. Do you expect me to be all loving and caring? You cost me my whole life," he said, uncovering his legs. They were gone, and I was about to ask why until he started to speak again, "I was paralyzed, Eve, and they didn't want it to spread so they did what they thought was best.'"

I was speechless, did I really ruin his life? Did I cause everything that happened to us? Was this whole thing my fault?

"I-I-I don't know what to say, Paul."

"Maybe, I'm sorry?" He was being so rude, I tried to think that at first he was messing with me, but now he looked at me with this sort of anger in his eyes and I mustered up as much as I could to not cry right then and there.

"Are you fucking kidding me," I stared right into his eyes without missing a beat, "Are you actually going to blame me for the loss of your legs?!"

"You're the one who suggested we take things a next step, you!"

"I didn't hear any complaints from you! I can't believe you would do this? I can't take back anything that happened, but I didn't do anything wrong, Paul! Don't forget that you were the driver, Paul, you!"

"Oh, so now you're blaming me?"

"I'm not blaming anyone!" At this point I couldn't stand to be in the room with him, his hostile environment definitley wasn't helping with my heart problem. I grabbed the wheels on my mobile chair and used all the muscle strength I had to get back to my room.

I didn't know what had gotten into him, he was this guy that was different from everyone else, not a mean bone in his body! And now, he's screaming and blaming me for his leg-less body. But maybe it was my fault? If I hadn't suggested taking our relationship to a different level he would still have his legs, we would still be happy.