Chapter Nineteen

The howls and screams of the attack of the dogs continuously filled the air, making every hair on Maplepaw's pelt stand on end.

This plan must work! It's our last hope if we are to come out of this battle alive.

"Well?" Applepaw questioned desperately, avoiding the gaping jaws of another dog.

Maplepaw replied grimly, slashing at the beast's flank, "I'll lead them away." When Applepaw's eyes grew wide, she panted quickly, "Listen, if we don't do something fast, our clanmates will die! And so will we! This might be the only hope we have! We can't go back and retrieve more warriors, we are too far away from camp!"

Applepaw shook his head, " No. It's too dangerous."

"You're not stopping me," Maplepaw whispered as she veered away from the Riverclan apprentice.

"I'll lead them to the Twolegplace!" Maplepaw called over her shoulder.

Please, Starclan!

She let out a blood curling yowl, her paws thrumming on the churned and bloodied ground.

"Over here, you pieces of fox-dung!" Maplepaw taunted, lashing out at the dog that had the Thunderclan cats stuck up the tree.

As her claws made contact with its soft flesh, the huge creature spun around. It made a wild attempt to snatch Maplepaw's throat in its foaming jaws, but she was too quick. In just a few heartbeats, she had all of the dogs racing behind her, eager to devour her pelt.

"Maplepaw, what are you doing?!" Echoflight screamed from her perch in the tree.

"Trust me!" Maplepaw yelled in return, racing towards the twoleg place.

Her lungs screeching for air, Maplepaw struggled to maintain her steady pace. Thorn tendrils and branches slapped her in the face, causing blood to flow freely, but she was bound and determined to save her clanmates.

At last the twolegplace was in view and Maplepaw could see twolegs milling about.

Probably looking for their stupid dogs! Maplepaw thought with a hiss.

All of a sudden, a long strand of ivy entangled Maplepaw's paw. She landed with a thud, the breath being driven from her aching lungs. In one swift moment, a large dog had grabbed Maplepaw's entire neck in its jaws. It's thorn-sharp teeth pierced her skin effortlessly, and blood sprayed the dry ground.

Writhing in pain and in a desperate attempt to break free, Maplepaw lashed out weakly. Her vision was beginning to fade and her neck seemed to be on fire.

"This is it," She thought dimly, closing her amber eyes ,"This is how I will die. I just hope my clanmates and Applepaw are
safe..."

Maplepaw faintly heard a yell of a twoleg and the pounding of feet. Immediately, the pressure from her neck was lifted and breath flowed into her lungs. The scent of dog drifted away slowly, as did the twolegs. Maplepaw's eyes flickered open and she let out a distant, and pained, sigh of relief. The twolegs had returned and taken the dogs away!

Thank you Starclan for being so gracious!

Maplepaw winced as she tried to move. Every mouse-length of her body screamed in agony. Her flanks had been shredded and a claw had been wrenched out. However, the worse wound was her neck. Two deep bite marks gushed blood, causing the ground to run with scarlet.

Starclan hasn't saved me yet...

Maplepaw let her eyelids fall shut sealing out the light. She knew her clanmates were safe, along with Applepaw. The dogs were gone. But, with every breath, Maplepaw could feel herself grow weaker. She was losing blood very quickly, and the pressure on her chest wouldn't go away.

Mapleshade's Revengeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें