Chapter Twenty

"You came," Applepaw remarked, padding slowly towards Mapleshade. The tortoiseshell she-cat had slyly slipped away from her sleeping clan in a desperate attempt to see Applepaw. She hadn't seen the tom since the dog attack at the border- which was exactly one moon ago-much to her dismay.

"Yes," Mapleshade purred, pressing her muzzle against Applepaw's. Her heart seemed to dance with excitement as she meowed," Guess what?"

"Hmm?"

"I'm not an apprentice anymore!"

Applepaw gazed at her with shock in his eyes, "Really?"

"I'm Mapleshade now."

Applepaw grinned then replied softly, "That's a beautiful name!" He went on, "I'm a warrior now too! You can call me

Appledusk,"

Mapleshade playfully batted at Appledusk's ears, "I just can't believe we're finally warriors!"

"How could you not be?" Appledusk meowed, gently cuffing her head," You were so brave during the dog battle, Breezestar would be a fool to have not made you a warrior!" He gazed deeply into her amber eyes, his green eyes reflecting the light of the moon, "I thought you were going to die."

"I would never leave you," Mapleshade whispered, her voice filled with emotion.

"Me either." Appledusk twined his tail with hers, "I love you, Mapleshade. "

Mapleshade leaned upon Appledusk's well muscled shoulder, "I love you too."

~ ◇ ~

The light touch of a paw prodded Mapleshade in the side rousing her from a peaceful sleep. Appledusk stood over her with two plump mice dangling from his jaws.

"We should eat before going back to our clans," He mewed simply, letting a mouse plop beside Mapleshade.

He settled down next to her, tearing into his fresh-kill.

Mapleshade gazed at her prey longingly, her belly rumbling with hunger. She hesitantly pulled it closer to her, feeling a bit guilty for eating before making sure the clan had been fed first. Finally giving in to her yowling stomach, she dug in.

"You just keep breaking the warrior code, don't you?" A painfully familiar voice echoed in Mapleshade's head. She immediately recognized Eaglestrike's scolding tone.

She curled her curved claws into the ground, "Shut up! I told you once, I don't need or want your help or advice!" She hissed silently in reply, "Leave and don't come back!"

"Is something wrong, Mapleshade?" Appledusk meowed, puzzled.

Mapleshade cleared her throat, "Oh, uh- no. Of course not. " Feeling a bit flustered, she continued eating her fresh-kill in silence.

Appledusk abruptly got to his paws, his tail flicking. "I hate to say it, but I have to get going. Troutsplash assigned me to a sunhigh fishing patrol ." He added quickly, "I don't want them to get suspicious or anything. "

Mapleshade frowned, "Okay. I guess I should get a move on too." She licked his ear as she sighed, "Everything would be easier if we were in the same clan."

Appledusk nodded slowly, rubbing against her cheek with his nose, "I know. But, no one knows we are even meeting here. What harm are we doing to them?"

Mapleshade shrugged, "Nothing, I suppose. "

"Exactly." Appledusk purred. He pressed into Mapleshade's shoulder one more time before meowing sadly, "See you tomorrow night."