Chapter 1

My phone buzzes and a silly grin makes its way to my face. I unlock my phone to see that my crush actually texted me first! I open up my phone and reply to his text message.

Darrell-Hey:)

Me-Heyy:)

Darrell-Wyd?

Me-working on homework....wbu?

Darrell- I'm talking to my crush.....

When I read this, I call my best friend Harper. She'll know what to do. She answers right away and I explain the texts to her.

She squeals and exclaims, "RESPOND! RESPOND! Hurry before he thinks your ignoring him!!!"

I laugh at her and ask, "What do I say?!?!"

"Anything," she responds back fast. I put her on speaker and go back to my text messages. After thinking for a while, I respond to him.

Me- and who might that be?

"He's not responding back." I tell her when it hadn't even been a couple minutes. "You do know its been like a minute?" Harper says more than asks.

I sigh and say, "Yeah I'm just really nervous." I fiddle with my hand, a nervous habit I didn't even know I did.

"Distract yourself for a little while," she says offering me an idea. I hang up with her and start working on my 'ME' essay. I start by writing some things about me. I'm 16 and my name is Mea Lea Brown. I know what your thinking, yes my last name is spelt and pronounced like the color brown.

I keep working on my essay. I have a big brother, Max, who is in the army. I also have a little sister named Stacey. She's just starting middle school. My brother and I are not very close, but my sister Stacey is someone I would die for. She's not just my sister, she's my best friend. My parents are parents. There isn't anything special about them. They both work a lot so they can get my sister good hearing aids and maybe even a chance to hear without them.

I work on my 'Me' essay for about a half an hour until my phone buzzes. I jump up a little too quickly to see who texted me. It's Darrell, but as I read the text, I feel like crying.

Darrell- Sorry I was just talking on the phone with her.

Me- It's all good:)

That's so stupid. Why talk to me at all if he doesn't like me. I made it so very obvious I like him! I shouldn't have expected anything to happen between us. Sometimes I wonder If I'm even able to be loved. I know it might sound cheesy or dumb, but everyone around me's relationships aren't the best. I've never had luck when it come to crushes. I'm too awkward and ughh poop on a stick!

 I just need to take a walk to the park. I get on a pair of black shorts that stop mid-thigh because the summer sun is still out and I sweat like a dog. No offense to dogs.

I go down stairs to let my parents, who are actually here for once, know that I'm going to the park.

I stop when I see my parents sitting in the living room with serious looks on there face. Before I can ask why they are here, my mom tells me, "Sit down. We need to talk."

I frown and sit down on the chair next to Stacey. It's silent for what feels like forever and then my mom speaks up, "Your dad and I aren't in love like we used to be." She doesn't say anything else, leaving it silent. It's almost like she doesn't want to say what she was going to. She looks like she's holding in tears and I'm not used to seeing her like this, so broken.

I feel like I've just been punched in the stomach. I shouldn't be surprised but I still am.

When he realizes my mom's not going to say it, my dad finishes what she was saying, "We're getting a divorce." He states like it is nothing. I look at Stacey and say it again just in case she didn't hear.