The Researcher on Mega Evolution

The duo were still making their way to the Sycamore research lab, but Amelia had this strange feeling in her stomach. As if they were being watched.

"By the way, why are you going to the Sycamore research lab, Amelia?" Eli asked her in curiosity, "you already have Eevee and Swablu, so I'm assuming you're not going there for a starter pokemon."

Amelia grinned.

"You're so smart, Eli!" she smiled, "The truth is, I wanted to start my journey, but I need a pokedex. I also planned on registering for the Kalos League while I was here."

"I see," he said nodding.

"What about you?" she asked.

"Oh, me? Actually, I'm-"

Before Eli could finish his sentence, Amelia noticed a small figure peering at them from a tree. She was sure it was the same pokemon that was watching them since their battle in the alleyway.

"Hey! It's you!" she shouted, pointing in the pokemon's direction.

Startled by her sudden shout, the pokemon leaped out of its hiding place, running away.

"Get back here!," Amelia shouted, beginning to sprint after the culprit.

Eevee, startled by the sudden shout, turned to see its trainer running after a small figure. It quickly followed.

"Amelia! Eevee!" Eli shouted. He already spent most of his energy when chasing the Ratata but just groaned and began running after them.

After running a few blocks and turning a few corners, Amelia saw the small pokemon run towards a giant building with another section made of glass.

"Hey, isn't this the Sycamore Laboratory?" she wondered.

Eevee nodded in confirmation from next to her as it had caught up to its trainer.

Before Amelia could reply, she noticed the pokemon opening the door.

"Wait right there!" she yelled running toward the door.

She pushed the door open but then felt the door hit something from the other side.

"Oof!"

"What was that?" she whispered. She opened the door a little more to look into the building, noticing a tall man in a lab coat lying on the ground with a giant bump on its head.

"OH MY GOD!" she said in realization, "I'm so sorry!"

She immediately went on her knees, bowing her head in great apology as she kept voicing out continuous apologies to the poor man.

"Amelia!" Eli panted as he made it to the front door, "I don't know where you get that energy but please, give me a warning before running off.... Professor Sycamore!"

He runs to the fallen man's side and helps him sit up.

"Professor Sycamore?" Amelia said in confusion before realizing the man's identity, "You're Professor Sycamore!?!?!"

The fallen man manages to get to his feet while rubbing his forehead.

"Yup that's me," he said, "I'm guessing this is a friend of yours Eli?"

"Yes sir," Eli said with a smile, "This is Amelia. She helped me get my journal back from a Ratata."

Amelia just blinked looking between the two men as they conversed like old friends.

"Wait, Eli. Do you know the Professor?" she whispered to her friend loudly.

Eli just chuckled awkwardly.

"I was about to tell you, but you ran off after that pokemon before I could tell you anything," he stated, "I'm actually the Professor's assistant. There used to be another assistant, but he left quite a while ago to search for Mega stones."

Amelia nodded, "I see... Wait a sec! That reminds me. Professor, did you happen to see a small pokemon run in here? It was about this big."

She gestured her hands to make a small circle about the same size as Eevee.

Professor Sycamore peered up, his hand on his chin as he tried to think of the pokemon she had just described.

"That's a bit vague of a description," he mumbled, "could you be a little more speci-"

"There it is!" Amelia shouted, pointing to the top of the stairs.

Everyone turned their heads to see a small Froakie as it peaked from behind the stair railings.

"Ah, you were talking about Froakie," the Professor grinned.

"So that's its name," she mumbled to herself, "Hi Froakie!"

The moment she shouted its name, the pokemon flinched before running away.

"Don't mind him," the Professor chuckled, "It's a bit shy."

Amelia nodded, looking a little disappointed.

"I wonder why that pokemon was following us," she muttered to herself.

Professor Sycamore showed the group around the lab, introducing them to a few staff members and describing every large equipment and their function. However, the whole tour, Amelia seemed to look distracted, looking down and staying silent.

The professor finally took them to the glass room that was filled with plants and pokemon. The pokemon all gathered around the new visitors, cooing with delight. Despite being surrounded by so many pokemon, Amelia remained silent.

"Are you okay?" Eli asked.

Amelia snapped out of her trance and looked at her friend's concerned face. She gives him a soft smile.

"I'm fine. I'm just wondering about that Froakie," she said, "When we were coming to the Sycamore research lab, I felt like something was watching us and I realized it was Froakie. I wonder why it was following us in the first place."

Before she could continue, a Garchomp approached her with a big grin. Amelia's blood went cold as she saw the massive pokemon approach her with its arms wide. Before she could run away in fear, it wrapped its wings around her in a hug.

"I see Garchomp has taken quite a liking to you." Professor Sycamore laughed, "Don't worry dear, she doesn't mean any harm. She just forgets her size sometimes."

Amelia just giggles as the rest of the pokemon run towards them, piling over her. As she laughed, she looked to the side and noticed a Froakie. Not the same one as before. It was alone and stared at her with a judging expression.

Professor Sycamore noticed her stare.

"Ah that's another Froakie that lived with us for quite a while now," he said, "You could say that this one and the one that you followed are quite infamous here. You see, Froakie is one of the three starter pokemons given to new trainers. While many of the other Froakie from their age group have already begun their journey with their new trainers, these two always seem to find their way back here."

He looks at the Froakie sadly.

"That Froakie always battled its own way and either came back here on its own or was returned by frustrated trainers. The Froakie that followed you is a rather timid pokemon. While it has a strong desire to become strong and fight along its trainer's side, it is also very fearful and often runs away from battle. That's why every trainer always returned it, saying they were unable to fight with such a scared pokemon," he said, "Those two have a strong connection as they have stayed at the laboratory for quite a while. I do hope they each find someone suitable to both the trainer's and their taste."

"I remember those two Froakie when I used to work here," responded Eli, "Even in the laboratory, they always seemed to be isolated from the rest of the pokemon. I do hope they can each find a trainer that they can trust."

Amelia doesn't say anything, instead just staring at the two Froakie with a sad expression.

(I'm going to try to continue this story but updates might be slow. College apps are coming up so thank you to anyone who still continues reading and supporting this story. Thank you!)