Our Anniversary - Pt. 1

Part one of the anniversary one-shot :-) you get to go on a nice dinner with Vic.

Thanks a ton to everyone who waited.. hope you enjoy.

- ant

"Happy one year, baby," I say, leaning across the table, holding Vic's small hands in mine.

Between us is a candle in an ornate glass jar, shattering the light from the fire into a thousand spots of light. He smiles at me brightly from across the table, soft orange candlelight reflected in his gorgeous dark eyes.

Vic's typical snapback is missing, replaced by his long brown bangs brushed across his forehead, his soft curls free on his shoulders. The thin string of pearls peeking from the collar of his gray button-up reminds me of the shell necklaces he used to wear in high school. His arms are bare, with nothing but his digital watch, and his usual black jeans and Vans are self-explanatory.

He's not super dressed-up, making me feel overdressed in my shirt and tie, slacks, and Oxfords. Regardless, he looks perfect tonight, and my attention is on him.

"Happy one year to you too, Ant," Vic beams, "thanks for taking me out tonight."

"I know how much you love the beach," I reply. I remember how much he loved hanging out at the beach back when we were in high school. We used to hop on our bikes and ride down to the beaches after school, wasting away whole afternoons sitting on the sand and watching the waves. He had a "surfer" phase, but he was more of a beach bum.

Vic has that content, far-away look on his face, and I assume he's reminiscing as well.

"I do, I do love the beach," Vic says, "but does every restaurant here have to have torches for decorations?" He motions behind us, to the torches lining the fence separating the restaurant from the ocean. "I get the whole beachy Hawaiian feel, but I'm just afraid the wind's gonna carry the flames, and set me on fire!"

I've always been the more grounded of the two of us. He sometimes has his freak-out moments, where he immediately pictures the worst case scenario; you can tell he's freaking out when he's biting his nails, or picking at his lips.

Right now, he's calm, and I know he's just joking, even if it is rooted in a bit of fear. It's instinct by now, to respond calmly and confidently to quell his fear.

I chuckle softly. "I wouldn't let that happen."

Vic visibly relaxes, even though he doesn't realize it consciously.

"Well let's hope we get our food before the wind decides it wants me dead," he laughs.

The waiter arrives with our dishes, ceviche with tortilla chips for Vic, mussel paella for me, and makes a show of pouring the white wine in our glasses. Vic naively asks for a Modelo, only for the waiter to tell him "if it's not on the menu, it's not served."

Vic apologizes and sits back in his chair with his ears burning, his face covered in an embarrassed flush. He's a simple person, and just made it obvious to the waiter. He's not used to being so spoiled.

"We can go home for that," I comfort him.

"Alright," he laughs sheepishly, and with that, we dig in.

The food is good, but I end up sharing my meal with Vic because he didn't realize he ordered an appetizer. Vic enjoys the Prosecco, even though it isn't beer, and I do as well, the taste refreshing and light when paired with the richness of the mussels.

We're lightly inebriated by the time we leave, having absorbed the nice energy of the place, the sound of the gentle surf and jazz echoing in our ears, and I drive us home. I wonder how he'll feel when he sees what I've done with the bedroom.

and that's part 1. stay tuned for part 2 :-)
i'm sure you know what's coming.. or who's coming xD