The Poisonous Alliance

Melina, the sprite of insects, journeyed to the playground of the universe for an audience with Mother Naturella. She had a powerful argument to make for pursuing her own selfish desires.

"There are more insects on Ecovia's Egg than all trees and animals combined," Melina declared with conviction. "They dwell in diverse regions of the mainland, from the icy mountains to the scorching deserts. We may be small in size, but we have plenty of spirit and strength to hold our own against all angels."

"I already know all of this," Mother Naturella acknowledged. "But what is the purpose of this conversation, dear?"

"Because I deserve to be an angel —a title superior to a sprite," Melina challenged. "I have waited long enough for you to recognize my value and grant me the dignity. But I can no longer tolerate this injustice. I demand you to crown me as an angel."

Mother Naturella studied her silently, taking in her dark and armored outfit that resembled the exoskeleton of her insects.

"I can still sense the malice in your gaze as I did when Zooella created you," Mother Naturella spoke her mind. "Your arrogance and pride prevent you from seeing the difference between right and wrong. You even attempted to wipe out all life on Ecovia. That is why I never crowned you an angel."

"Mother Naturella, you are biased," Melina protested, pointing the finger of blame. "Like the angels, you look down on me, on my insects."

"That is not true, honey," Mother Naturella replied gently. "Goddess Ecovia painted your insects on her Egg for a reason. They have a vital role in nature, and I cherish you like all my angels and sprites."

"Since you deny my right, you force me to rebel against the angels and seize the planet for myself," Melina announced. "Then you will have to reconsider and crown me as an angel."

"Be careful, sweetie," Mother Naturella cautioned. "When you seek to hurt others, it can boomerang on you."

Melina turned her back, deaf to Mother Naturella's words.

As soon as she returned to Ecovia, Melina sent word out to the queens of the insect colonies to rebuild their numbers. But, after her failed attempt to infest the world, she knew she needed more than numbers to secure a victory against the angels. So, she ventured to the Arid Desert and sought out Saurona, the sprite of reptiles.

"What do you want, Melina?" Saurona hissed in disinterest while she shed her coat to bask in the sun.

"That is no way to welcome a fellow sprite," Melina scolded, crawling beside her. "I am here to invite the reptiles to join my infestation."

Saurona finally spared a glance at Melina and laughed. "Ha! Why would I ever consider joining you?"

"Your scaly, slithery friends struggle to survive in these hostile lands, don't they?" Melina appealed to her with a hint of the grim situation. "Like my insects, your reptiles have to hide and sneak around like outlaws while the plants and animals of our angel sisters roam freely. Why should they suffer in the shadows when they could live in the light?"

"My reptiles are tough and resilient to the harshest environments hurled at them by the daughter angels of Geoella," Saurona declared with pride. "Now stop bugging me and scram!" she shooed her away.

"You have the right attitude, but are you satisfied with being a mere sprite for the rest of eternity?" Melina goaded with a smirk.

"Well... but...!" Saurona faltered to argue.

Seeing that she had piqued Saurona's interest, Melina pressed on, "Mother Naturella deems us unworthy. When she witnesses us infesting the world, she will bow to our might and crown us as angels."