Proof.

At the hospital.

"When did you say this incident happened?" The nurse asked Esdeath. Her long blue hair waving away as she turned to me. 

"Tell her." She demands me.

 "5th of July, s-same day I was sold." I quickly tell her. She pulls open a cabinet, flicking through the files of the day I was brought in her. 

"Y/N. The slave experienced serious facial trauma after being hit with a horse whip by owner. Reason unknown. Patient bandaged up and given anti biotics, check ups advised but unlikely." The nurse quickly debriefs my reasoning of coming in.

Esdeath doesn't say anything but nod and quickly turn, gripping my hand cuffs and dragging me out of the hospital. I'm sat back in the carriage as she grabs something from the chest on the back of the coach. She climbs in and sits next to me once again, placing the brown furred jacket and cargo trousers I had been wearing upon capture.

The day had taken such a turn I forgot I was even naked. I quickly throw on the clothes I was handed and nod. 

"Thank you..." I say gently to her. Without a response she turns to me and nods. 

"I had thought you were lying. The boy emperor sentenced you to death because we hear the exact same story with every escapee slave, yet upon investigation they are always found to be lying. However, just because the first statement of your story appears true, does not mean the rest is." She says coldly, striking fear back into my chest as I am reminded that I'm not in the clear. 

As I'm not paying attention, her hand is quickly moving towards my bandages. I flinch, moving away as I back into the corner of the coach. Before I can react any further, she's in front of me, holding me against the carriage door. 

"Ah, so maybe there really are no scars? Why else would you attempt to run?" She asks, tilting her head. 

I stay dead silent, no way am I admitting to the most dangerous person in the country that I'm worried of people thinking I'm ugly.  

Her left hand moves towards my bandages again this time staying deadly still knowing that, if I ran, I'd die. Her face winces as she pulls down the bandage around my eye,  With just that sight, she rerolls the bandage around my head and leaves the others in tact. She nods, a slight look of empathy in her eyes as she sighs. 

"Alright. Your parents, where do they live?" She asks, not mentioning anything else about the scars on my face. 

"Princenton village, I can show you the house..." I respond gently, the bandage around my eye covering the tear that has formed. However, the tone of my voice makes it immediately clear that I am upset. Esdeath doesn't mention this though, as expected of her. 

1 hour later

My village, it's been more than a month since I was sold and yet it looks the exact same, if not worse. People are flooding the streets, expected. They must all think that this is their savior, that she's about to let us experience wealth and tell them all that their day of living in mud and filth has ended! 

When in reality, she's here to decide whether or not to kill me.  As she climbs out of the carriage, she pulls on my cuffs and brings me with her. The bandages surrounding my face are enough to keep my identity hidden from the people I grew up with. They must think I'm one of her slaves, they wouldn't expect to see me back here. They know about the wanted posters, after all the first place the enforcers came was most likely here. By now, they are all probably assuming I'm dead or rotting in a cell.

"Where are Y/N's parents! Bring them to me now!" Esdeath shouts, taking out her rapier and holding it out. "You have 5 minutes or I will bring destruction to this village!" 

What? She's bluffing right?

I don't argue for the sake of my village, I stand there in silence, I'd rather Esdeath terrorized them and then left them be than they found out I was here.

Within moments, my parents stumble towards her, as high as usual. I kept myself from breaking down, my first time seeing my parents since they took me in my sleep and handed me off to the enforcers to be sold.

"L-lady Esdeath, if you are here to punish us for what Y/N did then we want you to know we have no involvement with that worthless runt! We don't even consider that child our son anymore!" My father pleads, my mother nodding along with him. 

It felt like I'd been stabbed. Their words hurt. Worse than any of the pain and torture I'd experienced in the last month. Yes they sold me, but a part of me hoped they only did it out of their addiction, and that they regretted it every day.  This got rid of that belief.

Esdeath turns and looks down at me. She's taller than me but the heels make it worse. She easily rises to 6'2 with those shoes on, almost an entire foot above me, making me have no choice but to look up at her like she was some kind of god. 

"These are your parents?" She asks, ignoring the people surrounding her. 

Once my parents heard this, they gasped, looking at me in horror. 

"Son?" My mother says, attempting to walk towards me.

Esdeath spins round and stops her, pointing her sword at her stomach as she shakes her head.

"Ah! Yet you claimed you denounced him as your son!" Esdeath laughs, shaking her head again out of amusement of this entire situation. 

"Worthless parents you both are, to sell your son to fuel your addiction and then abandon his name the moment something goes wrong. A murderer he is, yes, but for good reason! He deserves better than you two." Esdeath growls, the first piece of emotion she'd shown since I met her. 

Clearly fueled by anger, she flashes her ice towards the village, but I grip her arm. 

"Please, don't hurt my family." I beg, she looks at me with an insanely confused face. I can't tell if she's pondering why I would ask that of her or why I would dare to touch her. To my surprise, she calms down.

"You would protect the people who harm you?" She questions, kneeling down to my height. 

I quickly shake my head. 

"Not them , but my sister, she lives in that house and she's done nothing wrong." I explain, tears forming under my eyes again. 

"What life do you want for your sister?" She asks.

"A happy one."