Step 7

Intimidation

Annabeth wraps the tape around her wrist, then up and through the space between each of her fingers, before securing them with a round over her knuckles. As she clenches her fist experimentally, her gaze drifts to the television at the corner of the ceiling.

"Here's a message to the viewers at home, the rumors about the release of new education technology by Way—"

"Honestly, I doubt that's of interest to anyone right now. We all want to know about the Luthor scandal. Where are we with that? Any breaking news?

"You're such a gossip, Viola—"

"I'm a news anchor, Clarence."

"—But I'll tell you what I've heard, straight from the courts. Luthor pleaded not guilty at the arraignment."

"Not guilty? Come on, we've all read that article, even my nephew and he's ten! When have you ever seen Lois Lane's name on the byline of something she hadn't vetted herself? She took down that trafficking ring last year by literally going undercover."

"My reaction exactly! They're holding him until he goes to trial on the 29th. That's next Friday folks, only ten days until Lex Luthor stands before the jury to pay for his alleged sins. Fastest date I've ever seen, that's for sure, the courts must be working overtime on this one. Ha!"

"So what, no bail?"

There's a brief pause before both news anchors burst into laughter.

"No, Viola, I don't think they're letting the billionaire with a private jet go on vacation before his trial."

The man shakes his head, still smiling good-naturedly.

"I met him a couple of weeks ago, at that children's fundraising gala he hosted, and he was so, well I hate to say it, but charming. You think you know a guy, Viola, and then—"

"He turns out to be a homicidal maniac? Been there, Clarence, and far more often than you'd think."

Annabeth snorts at the screen. Reports like these, led by television personalities with varying levels of seriousness, have been playing since late last week. She muses on how long it will be before they start to discuss LexCorp's new management instead. It's only been a day since Luthor had been officially fired, but she expects the rumors to start circulating soon, and for the company to put out an official announcement within the next few days. Not for the first time, she wonders if jail cells get cable.

"Chase!"

The voice is almost demanding and blinks Annabeth out of her thoughts. A woman with pulled-back short braids beckons her with a tilted head and a sharp smile. "Another round?"

"Two losses aren't enough for you?" Annabeth teases back, earning a scoff.

She shakes her mind free of Luthor for now, sets her shoulders back, and steps into the ring.

LINEBREAK

On Wednesday after work, hair pulled and pinned back tight, Annabeth makes the walk to Caesar Contemporary under the safety of a dark shapeless hoodie and her invisibility cap. Slipping in behind an exiting patron, she finds the bathroom first and settles into a chair. It's one of those high-end restrooms, with a small powder room preceding the main stall area, the interior decorated similarly to the glimpse she'd caught of the museum upon entry.

From the outside, Caesar Contemporary hadn't been much to look at, an assuming eggshell white building with two columns caging in the entrance. Most museums had some sort of exterior stonework or detailed carving depicting the type of pieces that lay inside but this one had none of that. It even lacked the usual minimalistic Luthor touch she has come to associate with his office and home. The word, unmemorable, comes to Annabeth's mind.