ep five: at the peak of its cruelty

Life has many regrets and watching others or yourself walk out from a chance to chase a dream can poison the heart. The uniforms were back on, rendering youth. But June glanced at himself in the mirror, asking the question the Kpop industry pushes. "Am I too old to debut? Am I trying too hard at this age? Should I accept that I have no more chance?"

But he knew many, a few years older than him, that deserved the stage. And that made him silence such questions. "Ji Woong Hyung, I bet you'll be in the Top 10." The BL actor had just gone out of the bathroom, wearing the uniform with such charisma. His serious face emphasized the school senior aura that suited his image in the show. He was a strong pillar to his team despite the short days they got to familiarize themselves.

"You're creasing the sleeves by moving too much." Although he didn't respond to the compliment, June felt the man's warmth as his hand straightened out his blazer. The steady hand that guided them through the first mission, one he prayed to whatever higher deity he'd get to hold for a longer time. "Come on, let's head to the venue."

»--•--«

It was a small task but he felt quite out of place without Ji Woong. He, Brian, and Ji Yun Seo were planning for their entrance. The plan they had so far involved the two boys, charging forward with great strength. But where was he in the picture? The idea of butting heads for an action they clearly wanted to do hindered his introverted self from speaking up. So he didn't and listened to them brainstorm what he was supposed to do. "Can you do like trumpet noises but in the tune of Back Door, hyung?" Fortunately, their idea was entertaining and not impossible.

Most of the Back Door team had gone on before they entered. And when he faced his fellow trainees, they didn't expect him to do a makeshift trumpet with his hands, mimicking an instrument to a lyricless tune of "Naе mogsoriga teojidorog oechyeo mеomchishal sigan ttawin eobseo" but thankfully many smiled in amusement at such an entrance. A success in his mind, as he placed himself near the trainees he found the most comfort in.

"Did you come up with the concept?" Even if Jong Woo phrased it as a question, the lingering expression on the boy's face made June roll his eyes. But instead of his voice answering such query, Ji Woong broke the banter between the two by adding his two cents that would render most in a few seconds of stand-still. "No. June would've made the entrance more courting-like with his sweet words. But I guess whatever he does will end up with a few marry me comments." Most of those distant in relationship to the trio are in disbelief at how well they've gotten to know each other amidst the short months and busy schedules.

The star master entered in a dashing green suit that stood out against the pale gray clearly. His smile was directed to the trainees and cameras had them standing and greeting the senior actor. The man seemed to be a reliable emcee with the times he appeared in survival shows. Yeo Jin Goo is the first K-celebrity to break the news of a chance to them in the show.

In twenty days, fifty-two million votes decided their fate. Strangers who had a vy for celebrities judged them through their screens and graded them a pass or a fail — a grade that would determine their standing in Boys Planet. And with the certain limitations the show set, only 53 trainees would get to continue. "I wonder who will be sitting at the Top 10 seats?"

Many sought after the first seat, one that guaranteed individual popularity. It would be great for marketing after the group of course. A solo track was the star of a Christmas tree. But June didn't group asking for more when he barely had something. So he begged for the bare minimum while working an effort worth the best position for himself. Currently, in this round he just wanted to survive and get a rank that won't have him working miracles for a boost. If he does survive, he'll then dream of being on a seat.