the soldier • 29

there will come a soldier, who carries a mighty sword. she will tear your city down, oh lei-oh lai-oh lord

Coralia knocked lightly on Edmund's door. The moon cast a pale glow across the floor of the hall.

The King opened his door and allowed her in. Coralia couldn't make out his expression, but she didn't really care.

They stood still, looking at each other for a moment. Coralia was uncharacteristically confident, and stared Edmund down.

He took a step forward suddenly, and she stumbled back. Neither of them had spoken a word yet, simply looking over each other.

Coralia lessened the space between them, lightly grabbing his shoulders and pulling him to her. He snaked his arms around her, placing his hands on her hips. She kissed him with fervor, finally.

This time, it was different. Different from the library, the hallway outside her bedroom. She felt as though she was floating, and Edmund's grip on her hips and waist was the only thing keeping her grounded.

He stumbled back with the force, but returned her kiss with just as much passion. The two of them stumbled to Edmund's bed, refusing to part from each other except to hastily remove Edmund's nightshirt and distractedly pull at the laces of Coralia's tunic.

Coralia ran her hands lightly across his toned chest, returning her lips to his as her knees hit his bed and she fell.

She landed in a much smaller bed, sunlight coming through the windows and blinding her.

"Get up, Corey! It's nearly five!" Dasia's voice rang through her ears.

Coralia sat up at the speed of a flying arrow, looking around. Her dressing screen, her wardrobe, her scratchy sheets. Dasia running around the room preparing for breakfast.

"We've nearly missed servant's breakfast, Corey." Dasia glanced over at the girl. "Honest, what is wrong with you?"

Coralia shook her head in dismissal, rubbing her temples. A dream. A dangerous dream.

She got out of bed and dressed, hurriedly following Dasia down the stairs to servant's breakfast.

She plopped into the seat next to Zavier.

"You look troubled." He said. Coralia glared silently.

"Yes, she does! I know exactly why!" Peodum grinned. The faun was sitting across the table from her. Coralia delivered a sharp kick to his shin. He let out a noise akin to a mix of a shout and a bleat.

The knights erupted in roars of laughter, much to the housekeeper's dismay. She sent icy glares to every one of them, silencing them quickly.

The subject was easily dropped, and Coralia was silent for the rest of the morning until her duties started. She'd had many, many awkward mornings with the Just King, but she was most worried about this one. She was determined to completely forget about the pub, the kiss, the dream.

As she was dressing King Edmund for breakfast that morning, she was feeling quite content with herself and her newfound ability to act normal. Was Edmund feeling this way? Certainly not. Did Coralia notice? Certainly not.

"The crown, this morning?" Coralia gently lifted the King's crown from it's usual resting place, a dark blue pillow.

Edmund stepped forward and bowed his head. "Please, Coralia."

Those words, combined with his gravelly morning voice and the way he looked down at her stirred something in her stomach. She placed the crown on his head.

Then Edmund did something that surprised Coralia. He gently placed his hands on her shoulders and let out a small, almost disappointed sigh. "There is someone here to see you." She tilted her head slightly, wondering who would bother to come see her.

"Who... why would—"

Edmund cut her off. "Relax, he seems to have good intentions. I would never put you in a dangerous situation, not if I could help it. I will come with you to see him after breakfast."

Clearly the young king had misunderstood her concern, but she thanked him regardless. His growing concern for her was appreciated, but she was also terrified of why he cared for her so.

The two walked silently to breakfast, as they always did. Coralia stood by the door, watching — not staring — as Edmund drummed his fingers on the table lightly. She watched as he laughed quietly at jokes his sister made, ending it in a light smile. How she would love to make him smile like that. Lately, she'd been lacking in that department. He wet his lips, biting his lower lip in the process. This prompted a flicker of deeply inappropriate thoughts.

She had just bled recently, which would explain these unwarranted feelings.

After breakfast, Edmund led his bodyguard to the library, where her mysterious guest was waiting.

He let his hand hover by her lower back. This went over quite well with Coralia. Not so much with her newly-revealed visitor.

"What the Hell are you doing here?"

i love drama