Chapter V

The tavern was bustling with customers going in and out but as soon as Bell entered through the door, he was surrounded by adventurers of different races and ages. He was a regular at the tavern. But this was the first time he felt like a celebrity visiting the tavern. He wondered if the Loki familia members felt the same way whenever they visited the tavern?

He was being bombarded with questions and congratulations before the owner of the tavern thumped her fist on the table, sending a clear signal to all the adventurers to settle down in their places. Bell approached the dwarf lady and bowed his head.

"Thank you Mama Mia for helping us in the War Games. We couldn't have won without you. I might have been locked up somewhere in Freya-sama's chamber right about now if it wasn't for your help." said the boy, with great humility and gratitude.

"Raise your head boy. No need to be formal with ol' me. My, how you have grown in the last few months! You have become unrecognisable from the scrawny little boy that dined and dashed the first time I saw you." said the dwarf, with a proud look on her face.

The last comment caused blood to rise in Bell's cheeks as he started apologizing all over again for his rude behaviour that one time. But he also felt that had he not felt so pathetic about himself that night, he would never have become the man that he was today. In a weird way, his conversation with the cat person earlier in the day made him feel a sense of respect for him for his struggles.

"So have ya come to see Ryuu?" asked the dwarf, with a smirk on her face.

Bell gulped before replying, "Is it that obvious?"

"Ha Ha! That stupid elf has been cooped up in her bed for hours ever since the War Game. But I'm glad that she was finally honest with her feelings. Just like you, the difference in her from the day Syr brought her in, to today is like night and day. I had told her that if you felt like you had no reason for living anymore, then delicious food can be all the reason that you need to push through. I hoped that one day, delicious food would not be the only thing that she needed to justify her living. And I'm glad that such a day came in her life. We all have our struggles. But no matter how hard it gets, you just need one good reason to persevere. And seeing her persevere and become the person that she is today, it does bring a smile to my face. And seeing you survive through the humiliation and become the man that you are today also fills me with great joy." smiled the dwarf, with a sincere and motherly look in her eyes.

"You know Mama Mia, I don't know anything about my mother. But when I look at you, it makes me feel like my mother would have been a wonderful person just like you. Your words have always helped me survive and I'm sure Ryuu-san feels the same way. I thank you from the bottom of my heart." replied Bell, while bowing again.

"Ha Ha! There ya go bowing again. You are a disobedient rabbit, aren't ya? Now scram before I start charging you per hour!"

The two smiled at each other before Bell took his leave. He headed upstairs and stood at the door of the elf's room. He collected his thoughts and calmed himself down before knocking gently at her door.