〔 六 〕 the requiem of the fall

. . . All that remained was the rage against the dying of the light.

She looked up at the moon.

She was just herself.

Her father had gone out. Her mother, too. For a week now. Her time had come, and they were away.

Akane never understood why they had to be away. It was just a normal delivery, but why would they have to leave her?

The moonlight was dazzling. The full moon, shining so radiantly that it nearly erased the light of the surrounding stars. Truly, it was beautiful, but the melancholy of being ghostly alone polluted her mind.

A gentle breeze softly stroked her cheeks.

Her forehead creased upon inhaling it. The breeze had a vaguely unpleasant smell riding on.

Akane began to fret, sensing the changes in the air. She stared at the moon in the sky, her hands started to tremble. "What is this feeling . . ?"

The wind blew once more. This time, it smelled like a wild animal.

This left a shiver running to her spine. "I don't like this . . ."

All of the sudden, an earthquake shook the town to its foundations. The walls started to scream and the insides of the house fell heavily on the concrete floor. The pictures, too, were dropped down, glass shattering.

Soon, more noises detonated outside.

Human screams—screams as if a terrified soul unleashed a demon.

What's happening?

After the violent rumble of the ground, Akane went up to the apex of the roof.

Then she witnessed out of ordinary.

Out of the dust cloud rising up, crawled a nine-tailed beast with a body of burnt-orange. There came a roaring a sinister fox as if to swallow up the full moon hanging in the sky.

A beast of legend, here to wreak havoc on this world.

Nine Tails.

Her eyes were fixed on Nine Tails. The sounds of bellowing and shrieking from every corner of the village. Given that the figure of the monster was no doubt visible from all areas of Konoha, even places not yet under attack wouldn't be exempted from the confusion, once the people there caught sight of Nine Tails.

Soon, the shinobi of Konoha appeared to the scenario, trying to counter-measure the destructive attack of the beast.

Going near Nine Tails meant risking death. Some of the ninja hurrying to the scene had likely already been sacrificed. It was no small wonder why Akane was scared. And in most definitely, a lot of civilians had faced the price of death.