Chapter 31: Not so Perfect

Joe's POV:
"It's going to be alright," I placed a hand on Summer's shaking knee whilst I kept my eyes on the road. We were going at over 40 miles per hour but she was still so worried we wouldn't get there.
"But it's not! This is going to damage her, she's 15 Joe! Even if I bhad a miscarriage, it would effect me forever, there would be that dent in my life," she yelled and removed my hand and continued to move her knee quickly up and down, annoying me out of the corner of my eye.
"I know, I know," I continued to drive. Somehow, I knew the directions to her mum's house from the last time. Summer carried on looking out of the window as if in a music video for a really sad song compete with: fog, rain, people in coats and the raindrops hanging on for dear life on the misty window.
-
When we had eventually arrived, Summer didn't hesitate. She leaped out of the car before I'd even switched the engine off. She used her key and ran straight up the stairs. I stopped the engine and followed her, pulling the door shut behind me.
"RUBY?" Summer called as she reached the landing. Even though the severe situation, I couldn't help but feel rude for not taking my shoes off at the door.
"Summer?!" A struggling, quiet voice called out from a room on the far left. I felt awkward for following her and going inside and instead, waited by the door but Summer gave me such a stern and alarmed look, gesturing for me to come in, I had to go.
"Summer, I need to go to hospital," Ruby strained herself, trying to push herself into her elbows but Summer rushed to grab her as her arms gave way.
"I know, come on," Summer pointed to Ruby's other arm and I placed it around my neck. The three of us struggled down the stairs and out into my car. Summer and Ruby sat in the back. I suggested calling an ambulance but Summer told me there was no time and that we needed to go.
--
-
--
"Miss Andrews, I'm afraid it's bad news," I felt so bad for scraping into such a deep, family related issue but Summer needed me, this is something else she couldn't deal with.
"Oh my God," Ruby leant her head on Summer's shoulder while she was sitting in the hospital bed.
"I'm afraid that you lost the baby, your just not ready to start a family," the sobs were heartbreaking but it was true. "I'll leave you alone," the doctor, was polished in a white coat and a stethoscope hung around her neck. She got up and left, shutting the door as delicately as was possible.
"Maybe this was for the best," Summer whispered between Ruby's sobs. Truly, I couldn't have agreed with her more. Having those sort of relationships with men was illegal at the age of 15 anyway, let along having a child. Her body just wasn't ready.
"I know, it's just. I suppose I was up for it, I wasn't going to bail on the baby but I suppose, it decided to bail on me," Ruby had stopped crying but her eyes were puffy and swollen and she had remaining tears on her face yet to drop.
"I know it's tough, but it's never too late, you can have another child when your ready to have a proper family, like Danny," I was intrigued to know who Danny was but I decided that now wasn't the time.
"Ruby? Ruby darling, what happened?" Mrs. Andrews came running in, dropping her Gucci bag on the floor and grabbing her daughter in a big hug. "Summer, please go and get your sister a drink and take this guy with you," she snapped, giving me evil eyes. I was offended but I wasn't prepared to argue since it was a hard time.
"Fine," Summer grabbed her own bag and I followed her out into the hallway. When we got out and the door was safely about five metres away, Summer began to talk. "Can you believe her? We're the ones who bring her to hospital when she wasn't even answering her phone and she even has the nerve to call you 'that guy' which would be offensive anyway!" Her voice cracked towards the end, she was clearly on the verge of tears. From this, I could tell that her mother had never really been there for her or her sister when they were younger and nothing had really changed.
"It's a hard time, she probably just sad about the baby," I placed a hand on Summer's back in order to try and give her some TLC which I was honestly very bad at.
"Oh Joe! Do you honestly think she gives a s*it? I bet inside, she bloody jumping for joy that there's no baby! She's always hated me, if I got pregnant she wouldn't care but it's her youngest and she thinks she's an angel. Now it can all go back to being perfect, the little goodie-two-shoes and we can all forget it ever happened," it was horrible seeing her so annoyed, when she walked in on that Saturday, all I could think about was how perfect she was with her pearly teeth, sea blue eyes and beautiful beach-ready blonde hair but really, she was nothing like that. Sure, she looked the part on the outside but everyone has their issues, whether they show them or not is a different thing. She's like everyone, a family behind the scenes who goes through problems just like the rest of us.
"I'm sure she doesn't hate you," Summer grabbed a chocolate bar and a Ribena and paid for it at the counter.
"Of course she does, I was the rebellious teenager. The one who always got in trouble at school but I always kept that one rule about boys. You never dated boys. I was into sports, boys were never an interest for me. When Caspar asked me out that night in the bar, I finally thought that was my chance, you know? But she didn't approve. Something about the South African thing, that he'd be away and that I couldn't trust him in another country for months at a time but I didn't listen. Now theres you, what she wants is for me to start a family, she wants me to be like Danny," she shook her head, a tear rolled down her cheek as she reduced her words to a whisper.
"Who's Danny?" I figured this question is something I should know first.
"Danny is- was, my brother, he was part of the Navy and was on call 24/7. He started a family with three year old twin girls and a five year old boy but one day, his base was attacked and he was killed. He was only 36," the tears continued to roll and I walked her out of the shop, I gave her a hug and she hugged me back. I felt a pain in my chest knowing that not only had she gone through so much crap with Caspar and I but she's had so much childhood crap, it must've been so painful growing up.
"I'm sorry I asked," I whispered, feeling doubly as bad for even causing her to talk about her dead brother.
"I'm sorry I'm such a wuss," she pulled away, sniffed and shook her head. "Let's go," she spoke sternly, no wonder she was such a hardnut if she was always the rebellious teenager in her family.

It didn't take long but we were back in the hospital room. We ensured it was private because after all, it was a sensitive topic for others to be able to ease-drop on.
"You took your time, now do you mind taking this boy out of here? I don't think it's very appropriate he's here at this time," she sneered at me angrily. If it hadn't been for the situation, I would've been forced to say something in my defence.
"Don't worry, I'll leave," I chose not to fight and headed for the door.
"Wait!" Summer's voice called out to me as I was about to exit. "Mum, I understand that you didn't want me going out with anyone but honestly, why just me? Joe is the greatest guy you'll ever meet, okay? And maybe this could've been the start of something, I'm not going to let you stand in the way!" Summer stood still, no matter how confidently she spoke I could see the way her fingers were fidgeting nervously.
"Summer," I reached out a hand but it was slapped away rudely.
"This boy? You think you can date this?" A boney finger pointed in my direction and I was taken aback by how rude she was being to my face.
"He's not a boy, and I'm not only going to date him. I'm going to love him." And with that, Summer and I exited the hospital room leaving Ruby in pain and loosing her baby too.
_____________________
OMG! 1530 word chapter!!!!
This was baaarrrreeeeee dramatic! Don't you agree? Well who else hates Summer's mum? Well all these missed moments between Jummer will eventually be put to an end and I'll put you all out of your misery! I'm still not over getting to 1k and also that I've updated 3 times today with over 3000 words altogether. I worked out that chapters 1-29 have 254(ish) pages altogether and I'm very proud! Can you imagine if this got made into a book series? Omg I would love that 😍 Those dreams...those dreams... Obviously, I'd have to change the names but that's okay 😂