TEN

"Cakes and Kettledrums." Trumpkin said, disappointed. "That's your next big plan?" he pointed at Lucy. "sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest, alone?"

"It's our only chance." Peter said firmly.

"And she won't be alone." Susan added, stepping up next to Lucy.

Trumpkin headed over to Lucy. "Haven't enough of us died already?" I recalled Nikabrik's dead body in the tomb, Trumpkin's sword in his back.

"Nikabrik was my friend too." Trufflehunter comforted him. "But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I."

Reepicheep drew his sword. "For Aslan."

"For Aslan." a bear chimed in. I couldn't help but smile a bit at the enthusiasm.

"Then I'm going with you." Trumpkin insisted.

"No, you're needed here."Lucy laid a hand on the dwarf's shoulder.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back." Peter's voice was quiet but persistent.

"If I may..." Caspian offered quietly. He stood up next to me and Peter nodded. "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer." he looked at me.

"But as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people." I finished.

"There is one in particular that may buy us some time." Though my brother's words brough hope, I knew what this plan was. I caught Peter's eyes and felt a deep rush of fear in the back of my mind.

"What is it?" Peter asked.

I hesitated. "A duel." I finally spit out. I could tell that this may not have been what Peter had hoped to hear, but he was determined.

"Alright." I knew he would accept this. I knew by now that he would do anything for his people. "Edmund will send the word to Miraz. Glenstorm and one of the giants will go with him."he turned to Susan and Lucy. "get ready. You need to leave as soon as possible."

When Susan and Lucy had already left, I followed Peter through the hallway.

"Peter." I called out to him. He stopped and looked at me.

"Camila, we don't have much time." he said, clearly anxious to prepare for the duel.

"I know, I know. But I'm just not sure about this."

"What do you mean, Susan and Lucy will have enough time."

I stopped him. "No, Peter..." I held his arm. "I'm scared for you." Peter paused his urgency and stared into my eyes. "Miraz is a good fighter. You may have more experience than him, but he is strong in his own way. He is not strategic when it comes to duels. He is extremely forced and he fights angry. I just... I don't want..." I struggled for words. "What if you don't..." I didn't want to finish my sentence. The thought of him dying out there and our people losing the war was too unbearable.

I was looking down, but I could feel Peter's closeness. I got that funny feeling from when we were in the tomb. I dared not to look up, but I lifted my head anyway. He was in fact close. It was almost like a repeat of the tomb. And again, the short moment was interrupted by my brother this time.

"Peter." Caspian said, Peter and I pulling ourselves away from each other, however more reluctantly this time. "You need to get ready."

Peter looked back at me and put his own hand on my arm. "I'll be alright."

As he walked off with Caspian I called after him. "Be careful." he nodded, then left me to worry myself to pieces. For the several months that I had known him, I had never been this worried for his life. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE - another quick one but I realized how quickly the story is going so I'm splitting some chapters up for some anticipation. Hope you like it!