Chapter 3

"You have traveled here today in search of knowledge, to hone your craft and acquire new skills, and when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people. But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy, in need of purpose, direction. You assume knowledge will free you of this, but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far. It is up to you to take the first step."

As Ozpin walked off the stage, a blond woman walked up to the microphone.

"Hello and welcome to Beacon. My name is Glynda Goodwitch. You are among a privileged few who have received the honor of being selected to attend this prestigious academy. Our world is experiencing an incredible time of peace, and as future huntsman and huntresses, it is your duty to uphold it. You have demonstrated the courage needed for such a task, and now it is our turn to provide you with the knowledge and the training to protect our world. You will gather in the ball room tonight. Tomorrow, your initiation begins. Be ready. You are dismissed." 

After the blond woman who introduced herself as Glynda left the stage, students began leaving the building to head to the ball room. Summer turned to Tai, a soft smile on her face. "Were you listening?"

Tai chuckles and shakes his head. "Not one bit. I did hear someone whispering about teams though."

Summer's smile grows a bit. "That'll be so much fun! I love meeting new people! Even if I am socially awkward..."

Tai gently lifts his hand to rest on her shoulder. "You've not been socially awkward with me. I think maybe you just haven't met the right people yet."

Summer nods her head, still smiling. "Let's find our way to that ball room."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raven rolls her eyes as students begin leaving the auditorium. "Let me guess. The next speech is about the power of friendship?"

Qrow glares at his sister. "Can you stop?"

Raven chuckles, a bit of disbelief seeping into her tone. "What? Don't tell me you're going soft, brother," her voice drops down to a whisper. "We're here for one reason and one reason only."

Qrow lightly punches Raven's arm. "And if we get kicked out of here because of your attitude, then this was all for nothing. I think you can stand to act like a normal girl for four years."

Raven gives Qrow's arm a light punch right back. "You know I can't stand this."

Qrow chuckles. "What, people? Yeah, they're gonna suck. But you're only making it harder on yourself by acting like you're five."

Raven rolls her eyes. "It's not like I'll have to socialize." 

Raven doesn't wait for a response, as she turns and begins walking to the ball room. 

Qrow chuckles and shakes his head, leaning against the wall as he looses himself in his thoughts. He's lost in thought for a moment or two, before he hears the word 'teams.' He stands up straight, looking over at the two that had mentioned it. It was the girl he met earlier, but he'd never caught her name. He chuckles, before muttering to himself. "Raven's gonna love this..."

He starts to walk towards the ball room, keeping an eye out for his sister. He pauses his walking as an idea pops into his head. A smirk crosses his face as he continues walking. "Or she could figure it out for herself."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Willow smiles as she listens to Kali talk about what life was like in Menagerie. They were walking to the ball room, and suddenly Kali stopped walking, along with talking. Her wolf ears twitch as she looks at a guy with dark gray hair, in a mostly gray outfit with the exception of a dark red cape. "He seems...interesting."

Willow's smile grows a bit. "Do you want to talk to him?"

Kali shrugs. "He seems nice enough."

Willow chuckles before calling out to the guy. "Hey! Kid with the gray hair!" her smile grows as the guy turns to face them, a small smile on his face. Willow smirks as she points to Kali. "My friend thinks you're cute!"

Kali's face heats up with blush, her wolf ears pressing down against her head as she lightly smacks Willow's arm. "W-Willow!" 

Willow laughs a bit as the guy begins walking over. "Okay, maybe I lied. I'm the one who thinks you're cute."

The guy smiles as he reaches the girls. "Either way, I think you're both cute. The name's Qrow. Qrow Branwen."

Willow smiles. "I'm Willow, and this is Kali." 

Kali gently grabs onto Willow's arm and buries her face in Willow's shoulder. "I hate you."

Willow's smile grows as she reaches up with her free arm and gently pats Kali's head. "I know you do. So, Qrow, where are you from?"

Qrow smiles. "Outside the kingdoms."

Kali picks her head up from Willow's shoulder, and her wolf ears perk up eagerly. "Really? Me too! I'm from Menagerie, what about you?"

Qrow's smile grows a bit. "A small island off the coast of Vale and Vacuo's border."

Willow's smile falters as she tries to think of an island off the coast of that border.

Kali nods, still not letting go of Willow's arm. "I always love meeting people from outside the kingdoms. They tend to have the more interesting backstories."

Qrow nods in agreement. "You guys should get going, I've gotta go catch up with my sister." 

Qrow winks at both girls before turning and walking off.

Kali smiles brightly as she looks up at Willow. "He seems nice."

Willow nods, smiling at Kali. "Sure. Can I have my arm back now, cutie?"

Kali blushes and lets go of Willow's arm as her wolf ears twitch nervously. "S-Sorry!" 

Willow chuckles and shakes her head. "It's okay, I didn't mind."