Chapter 81: A Warning

~~Sebastian~~

He wasn't used to such a well stocked kitchen, nor such a large one. When he first walked into the room he'd stood in shock for a moment, looking at the massive oven with wide eyes. It was easily twice the size of the one at his house, with four burners instead of two. He forgot how wealthy Ominis was sometimes. He never acted like it, and always treated people with respect. It wasn't what he thought someone with such wealth would act like.

He was a bit intimidated by the kitchen for a moment, wondering if his cooking skills could live up to such a place, but the only way he'd find out is by starting.

He rolled up his sleeves and went to wash his hands in the basin, thinking a good lunch would settle them all in for the day in their new home. He wasn't sure how long they were staying here, but with the Ministry likely looking for Damien it might be a while.

Thinking of the Ministry made him think of Veela, and he glanced out the window with worry as his heart twisted. She probably would have tried to go home by now. Did her father take her in? Did he kick her out? Had she found the key he'd left her? Would she even take such an offer?

He let out a deep sigh as he looked through the cupboards for supplies, humming in surprise at how well stocked the vegetables were. Well... what else was there?

A lamb bone from a recent meal in the ice chest made him grin, taking it out with a bright smile.

"Well if you're going to have a Scotsman cook your meal don't be surprised if you get a Scottish soup." He chuckled to himself as he brought the lamb bone over to a pot to get started. It was starting to get chilly outside with fall just on the horizon, the British winters settling in for the long haul with the usual dark cloudy skies.

Cooking was enjoyable for him, and it took his mind off the ache in his chest. He could concentrate on cutting the vegetables for the soup while the lamb bone simmered in water to make broth, humming idly as he worked. Once he was ready to cook the cabbage he decided to open the window to air the room out a bit so the cabbage didn't stink up the house.

He was stirring the soup idly, tasting a bit of it before adding more spices when something flew into the window, crashing into the pots and pans hanging from the ceiling and sending some tumbling down as he yelled in shock.

He froze as the ruckus suddenly ended, staring wide eyed at the fallen pans and realized whatever had flown in was beneath the saucepan on the floor. Knowing the Ministry would be searching for them, he took his wand out, using his boot to carefully lift the saucepan and move it aside.

"Wha-?" He stared in confusion at a tiny owl, barely out of training. It even had a few tufts of downy feathers around its neck, staring up at him with wide yellow eyes. The letter it held was larger than its entire body, held tight between beak and talons from the impact. It was barely the size of his hand, this little owl, and likely the smallest owl he'd ever seen.

It puffed up its feathers and stood up, looking up at him curiously before it dropped the letter at his feet with a rather smug look. It unfurled its wings and gave a fierce little sound, but with how tiny it was it came out more of a trilling hoot that would be considered cute by most.

"Who sent you, then?" He said curiously, looking at the owl warily and didn't see any sign of it being from the Ministry. No golden harness like he'd seen on the one that had delivered a letter to Veela.

He looked at the letter and frowned curiously, because it didn't say anything on the outside who it was from. That made him more wary, but a quick revelio didn't show any problems. Seemed safe, then.

He stood up and tore the letter open, his eyes widening as he read it.

Sebastian,

I know you probably weren't expecting to hear from me, but I wanted to give you a warning. My father is taking over my mission with the Ministry, and he'll likely find out about Ominis being in Feldcroft and connect the dots. Please be careful. He is not someone to take lightly.