Charming Town Part 7

Ryder took a deep breath and turned to look at the incubator and at the baby. Her son? He was Jax's son and in turn a part of him. And it made her want to love the little boy and be his mother like she was to Harley. And Opie was right, she was going to be the only constant and steady thing that Abel and Jax would have and she owed it to them to stay and owed it to Harley to stay. She needed her father as much as she needed her mother and that made her cave.

"They want to try and fix his stomach and heart soon." Her husband said softly like talking at normal volume would wake Abel like it did after Harley was born.

"Is he strong enough for it?" She reached her fingers out to tentatively touch the chamber.

"We will find out." He returned pressing his lips to the side of her head. "If I am going to stay Jax and this is gonna work, I have a couple of deal breakers."

"Name them," he was ready for them, Opie had given him a heads up when she had left and she may have totally made up her mind. "You have to be completely 110% honest with me, about him, with club shit. I know Juice told you I had an ATF agent at the courthouse before I came home. I don't know if she was trying to fish for something about the club with me or if she was there for my clients. But I can't protect you or the club if I don't know what's going on."

"I can do that." He agreed he had been thinking about telling Ryder everything about the club business for a while now, but it was hard when she was in Tacoma and unable to be present all the time for him. And he knew that was on him for all the shitty decisions he had made in the past. He felt her head bop up and down showing that she had heard him.

"If she becomes an issue again or if you sleep with her again, I am done. I will file for divorce and take Harley and him." She inclined her head towards Abel, "and you know the courts will agree with me." Jax glanced at the baby, then his wife, and frowned seeing the hard look on her face. He knew that she would take to Abel and want to be his mother, he just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

"I will take them to Tacoma or to New York." Her eyes were still on the little boy, "I got an offer to go work in New York with Harvey Spector and Jessica Pearce. And it's available any time I want it."

Another bout of sudden fear clenched his heart and it scared Jax, he knew that his wife was good at her job and had gotten reduced sentences for most of the Sons and did everything she could to help out Big Otto Delaney, including a small library for his jail cell. He still wasn't sure how she did that but, the big man had sung Ryder's praises. Even Lenny who was held on a different part of the cell block and didn't have much interaction with the Winston kids sang her praises.

And yes, they had a charter in New York but it wasn't in the city where she would be at. He wouldn't be able to protect her and their kids like he wanted. "You thought about it?" He asked after clearing his throat.

"Once or twice, especially when you were trying to tell me what to do." She answered, "I didn't," she paused to think of her next words so they didn't cause a fight, "don't want our daughter and now Abel to grow up like how we did having to worry about stuff getting blown up around us, getting shot at and their father getting arrested. Remember how bad it was when your dad died? We couldn't go outside and play unless we were in the garage because we were protected. I am not going to let them grow up like that. I don't want them to live in fear or going to visit their daddy in prison. I remember Gemma taking me and Op up to see Piney in Stockton and in Chino because Mary didn't want to take us."

Jax tugged her back to him and turned her to face him, "Babe listen to me, we aren't going to repeat the same mistakes our parents made. You, me, and Opie are going to be the ones that make the changes to the club and all this shit okay? You aren't going to have to bring our kids to visit me in prison." He framed her face with his hands and pressed a soft kiss on her lips, "And whatever happened between me and Tara happened in the past and that's where it's going to stay." She glanced up at him studying him in that unnerving way that she had before she nodded her head. "I guess call Rosen and get him to bring down the paperwork and I will sign it." He pressed another kiss to her mouth before stepping out of the room to call Rosen.

"So I take it you are staying?" Gemma asked causing her to groan and close her eyes. "Can we not do this right now Gem? I am too tired to put up a fight about anything including why I stayed for so long. Just know that I am staying for as long as I can. Your son knows my terms and if he fucks up then that's on him and we are done." She said as Audrey came into the room to check on Abel. "Aud! What are you doing here?" Ryder exclaimed surprised. "I am on Abel's case too. I heard you were here. Your presence really pissed off the good doctor." Gemma was silent as she sat down in the rocking chair, she was curious to see what her daughter-in-law and her friend could come up with. She was right there with Ryder with hating Tara, she could remember all too well the fights that Ryder and her son had about Tara and how she wanted to be right there in Ryder's place being his old lady. Gemma had been vocal then that she didn't want anyone but Ryder to replace her as Queen when it was her time to step down, but she had been worried that her time away being Ms. Big Shot Lawyer in Tacoma was going to make her soft.

But the way Ryder lowered her voice and started talking lowly to her best friend about what she told Jax and how she would have no problem taking Tara out and how she took her phone out and typed a quick message to someone back in Tacoma to start looking into Tara.

It never hurt to have a backup plan.

The Queen knew she had nothing to worry about, Ryder was going above and beyond of what she thought she would be capable of, and Gemma was proud, and now the question was would be able to step aside and let Ryder do what she needed to do.