Part 19: The Crystal Sphere

She reached the bottom of the casym, the spotlights of the temporary lighting system cast unnaturally elongated shadows on all that was at this-the lowest point of her empire. They were far below Utopia City now, far below even the Undercity. They weren’t far from the planetary core now. 

The massive drill lay to the right of her, the laser-based drill-bit hovered above the surface she was standing on, suspended by the cable that reached all of the way back to the continental plate, miles and miles above.

She was standing on a solid surface, a surface that pulsated a glowing green light. The surface was crystaline in nature, not even allowing the advanced drilling technology to penetrate it. She had no idea how thick it was, but she knew she had to break through it. 

Draz had arrived with the troops on the cargo elevator.

“Draz” she spoke. “This is it. Her Crucible. It’s the Crystal Sphere!” She didn’t look up at him, she was transfixed on the floor beneath her feet.

“Your grace, the Drill cannot break through this material-on all attempts the drill has overheated”.

“Of course it can’t!” Rammachandra spat, her eyes flashed crimson and her rage was on her face now. The soliders all stepped back, away from their leader. The moment passed. She looked down at the floor again.

“This material is Arcane born-no technology of ours will be able to break through it. Only I can”. The hair turned to static around him-Draz took a few steps back. The lights flickered and went out, allowing total darkness to reclaim this deep part of the planet. The soldiers started to panic now, they were shouting, trying to activate the elevator which had deactivated along with the lights. A blue light started to glow from above, growing brighter and brighter in intensity. She was up there, building up a blue electrical energy in her hands-both of which were outstretched in fists. 

The men were really panicking now, screaming and trying to climb the walls in panic as their leader was somehow suspended in the air. Draz looked up in awe, holding out his DarkLight Battleaxe and protecting himself in its mysterious shroud. 

Then she screamed, she screamed louder than any other person he had ever come across. She let out all of her rage, unleashing her true power upon the Crystal Sphere on which Draz and the soldiers stood. Blinding arcs of purple electical-style energy sprang from her hands, striking the crystal surface. The energy hit the surface and spread out, flowing around Draz’s protective shield. The others weren’t as fortunate. The energy spread out along the surface, like water filling a container. As the energy touched each  of the soldiers, that soldier was instantly vaporized. The whole platoon was destroyed by her attack, leaving only Draz within his protective cucoon. 

Her scream of rage continued, the target point of her attack now hotter than the sun. She let out one last cry, louder than before. The attack intensified and hit the surface with renewed power. There was a deafening crack like a gun firing-the surface was breaking up. Giant cracks spread from the epicentre like ice breaking under pressure. Smaller cracks spread between the larger ones and finally the epicentre section of the Crystal Sphere imploded downwards, opening a crucible which had been sealed for thousands of years and opening Sorceress Alexandria’s tomb to the world once more.