Chapter 1

I look into my mirror with forever longing eyes, wishing that I could look differently than I did. As my fingers mark around the areas that I wish did not have bumps, I brushed over my rounded glasses and began to take them off. I hated the way that people called me pretty only ever if they were gone. I just wished for once, that me alone would be enough.

"Julie, we've got to go, the train leaves in half an hour!" Shouted my mom.

"Give me a minute, I'm coming!"

I rounded back to my room and grabbed my trunk, careful not to brush the picture frame of me and my dad off of my window sill. As I said goodbye to my room for the year, I ran down the stairs and met my mom at the very bottom.

"Don't worry, I'll load your bag into the back for you! Hop into the front seat, your brother is already there."

Ah, ok, well that was a relief. I handed my trunk to my mom, ran out to the car, sat in the front, and thought about how grateful I was that my brother wouldn't be here for the annoyingly long car ride to the train station. As I put in my head phones, my mom began to drive, and in a matter of no time at all, we had made it. Pulling my luggage out of the car, my mom walked me through the brick barrier, and we were met with a swarm of buzzing students ready to start their next year at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry.

"I think this is the part where I trust you to get onto the train now yourself?" Questioned my mom in her worried tone.

"Mom, I'm fine. This is my 4th year, I know what I'm doing by now." I replied hastily.

"Ok, ok. You know, I love you Julie. Please be on your best behavior this year, alright?" She pulled me in for a hug and i carried the rest of my things nearer to the platform. I watched her disappear back through the barrier, and after hearing the trains horn, I hopped on and begun searching for an empty cart.

"Excuse me!" Shouted a girl with thick dark hair and furrowed brows. I moved out of her way right before she came darting past me, knocking down a first year who had just stepped onto the train. I noticed an empty room in the distance, so as I begun to move closer, I swiftly opened the door and sat down with a huff.

The train began to move, and halfway through the train ride I got in line for the bathroom to change into my robes. After I had finished, I looked out of a window and there it was, Hogwarts. I turned around to head back to my seat, when someone had bumped into my shoulder.

"Move out of my way book worm!" Shouted an annoyingly loud Goyle.

"Leave me alone, bonehead!" I shouted back.

With a slight smile appearing on my face, I stuck out my heel and watched as he tripped and fell flat on his face. Before he could get up, I hurriedly scuttled back to my seat, just in time for the train to stop at our final destination. The rows of students poured out one by one, and soon enough, I hopped off the train. After a carriage ride back to the great hall, I headed towards the ravenclaw table, but someone stopped me.

"Hey, you're Julie, right? I saw you trip Goyle on the train, nicely done." Exclaimed a girl with golden hair and light eyes.

"Oh, um thanks. Who are you?" I asked.

"Oh sorry! I'm Hermione, that guy behind me is Ron."

I peered behind her shoulder and there stood a boy with fire red hair and a freckled face, wearing what looked to be distressed robes. I looked up into his eyes, and as he looked into mine for what was barely even a millisecond, he looked away and his cheeks burned bright red.

"Oh, well, nice to meet you Hermione and, err Ron." I said, with an awkward smile.

"You too! We'll let you get back to your table."
She said.

I turned on my heels and walked to my table in a very awkward manor, trying not to think too much about what I might have looked like trying to control the way I walked. The truth was, I knew exactly who they were. I mean, everyone does, it's not like they weren't friends with Harry Potter. And to be totally honest, I've liked Ron since my first year, but I was always just too shy to say anything more than a hi, and a careful smile here and there. It wouldn't make a difference, he's never noticed me, but somewhere in my heart I've longed for his affection. I sat down next to my friend Luna, and although I wasn't interested in hearing another story about Nargles, I listened until Dumbledore made his speech and I was finally able to eat after such a dragged out day.

"Hey Jules! Heard what you did to Goyle, and just to let you know, I'm totally telling mom." Exclaimed my brother, Jason, who had just run around to my side of the table, snickering with his 6th year accompanists.

"Oh goodie! Then did you hear that before I did that he insulted me?" I exclaimed back, obviously annoyed.

"Yea well it's not an insult if it's true, no wonder you're in raven claw."

"You know what Jason? No wonder you're in Slytherin, you're just a big bully." I retorted.

"Oh yeah? Well-"

"Enough, Roscols! Or the two of you will be in my office for detention." Shouted Snape.

I hadn't noticed him getting up from the professors table, but now that I have, I realized that not only had he gotten up, the whole room had quieted down and began watching me and Jason.

"Have I made myself clear?" He added.

I quickly nodded as Jason returned to his seat, away from me at another table, when Draco Malloy and Goyle stuck out their tongues right at me. I had lost my appetite, so after minor convincing, I grabbed Luna and we headed upstairs early to find our luggage already in our dorm. For once I wished that my brother would just be able to see what I went through when Dad left, but of course he had blamed the entire ordeal on mom, which meant that it was my fault, too. I wished we had gotten along like we used to, but deep down as I knew it would never be the same, I washed up, curled into my sheets, and prayed that one day things could be different, that things would go my way.